Sunday, October 6, 2013

Pretzel Logic


                                                       via
-- and if you read the article at the link, you'll find out where this photo was taken....


I love that song (and album) by Steely Dan.  Isn't it a great name?  I have the song mostly figured out on the keyboard now.   Fun fact:  did you know that Timothy B. Schmidt -- the tall, skinny bass player from The Eagles with the long stringy hair -- the one who sings "I Can't Tell You Why" -- he sings backup on "Pretzel Logic".   (So random, I know.  File that little tidbit away for your next dinner party.) 

Anyway, I love this quote from this article:  "A conversation with Steely Dan’s Donald Fagen and Walter Becker is like trying to pin down a buzzing fly using only your pinky."   That's like me with music.  Don't try to pin down a music style for me, I am much too erratic to stay with one genre for long.  I suppose the same rationale could apply to fashion, hair colours, perfume, computer fonts. 

Hubs and I have been playing our guitars/keyboard and jamming lately, it's a great way to escape from everyday life and live a fantasy life for awhile.  Everyone leaves you alone and you don't have to explain what you're doing.  (especially if you have headphones which plug directly into the keyboard....)  My 'keyboard' piano has piano, organ, harpsichord, keyboard, choir and string settings on it, so one of my favorite things to do is download a playlist on my iPod, put on my earphones, play along with the songs on the piano and try to play them by ear.  You'd be surprised how many songs have the same chords throughout but yet sound totally different.

One of the settings I have is a 1970s style Rhodes piano, which you can hear on many 1970s songs (and late 1960s songs) such as Pretzel Logic, Come Together, Gold Dust Woman.  I have an old-school 4 track recorder (we are talking pre pro-tools here) - my task is to find some 4 track cassette tapes to do some fun new recordings with Hubs.  I still have a tape which my sister-in-law L and I recorded on years and years ago  I think eBay would be my best bet as most music places don't even carry cassette tapes anymore.

Check out the new LPs I found on eBay recently.  I am still waiting to get the record player....maybe Santa will get me one for Christmas??











* * *

I've been listening to Daft Punk and Arcade Fire recently.  Check out this video (love the Soul Train edits):





Love "Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)" by Arcade Fire, this performance is from SNL a few years ago.  Doesn't it sound like a cross between Heart of Glass and ABBA?

* * *

So things are coming around.  C is doing better everyday, he is still at the hospital but healing and getting stronger.  He seems more like his old self and he may get to go home soon, maybe in time for Canadian Thanksgiving (next weekend).

And then Hubs & I found ourselves booking accommodations for a trip, which came up suddenly.  How can we say no to this......


2 Weeks to Go!

(I'm as shocked as you are.)

Happy October.  Can't wait to see Central Park in its glory.


18 comments:

  1. Holidays are such a delightful escape....
    Looking forward to snippets and highlights.
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're lucky to be so musical! I'll be hitting Noo Yawk at the end of November so looking forward to seeing what you get up to. Glad C is improving, hopefully he'll be allowed home for Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sulky is coming to NYC! Crappy we won't be there at the same time though. But you will have fun -- you will be there for American Thanksgiving? We went two years ago and it was a fantastic holiday.

      Delete
  3. I think I had those albums! Yay for NYC and so happy your brother is doing better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! I remember reading your fun NYC post back in the spring and thinking "oh it'll probably be YEARS before we go to NYC again..." Not so, apparently!

      Delete
  4. I love to play and sing along. My father was a musician and we all took lessons for various instruments and also had the opportunity to join in with his friends jamming from time to time. It's a great escape.

    Have a wonderful time in NYC, another great escape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Music has been such a big part of my life, I couldn't imagine my life without it. Glad you experience it too. And you said it -- "great escapes". Can't wait. Hope you, Hubs (& the twins) are doing well!

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear C is doing better. I'm so glad you are getting to NYC!! How fun and what a wonderful time to go. Seriously jealous. I can't wait to read all about it on the blog.

    The Daft Punk -Soul Train video was the highlight of my night! How amazing were those dancers? Seriously? They did a great job getting this in sync with the music. I grew up watching American Bandstand on Saturday mornings followed by Soul Train and always marveled at the fashions and dancing on it. Such a gem!

    xKim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so lucky, believe me - this trip came up very suddenly and unexpectedly!

      I LOVED the Daft Punk video! Fantastic job with the edits. Soul Train was so cool, I still have two eps (re-runs) saved on my PVR, one channel we used to get 5 or 6 years ago would air old re-runs. Apparently ST was filmed at Paramount Studios in LA, the guide told us that the show had filmed there at one of the stages and I was seriously freaking out. Meanwhile, everyone else on the tour was like "....duh.....what's Soul Train?" Um, you have GOT to be kidding me! LOL

      Delete
  6. lucky, lucky you to be popping off to NY...but not so lucky in the family stakes with your brother...life sure is a merry go round of ups and downs isn't it?

    although good to read he is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Virginia! Hope you're doing well. I'm hoping to maybe pop in to Fish's Eddy again in NYC. I seem to recall you love that store? :)

      Delete
  7. is that NEW York? What a fantastic time to go, sweet fall and no (well fewer) crowds. I am like that with music too (and clothes and everything) I love a bit of everything. We even went to a Boz Scaggs concert the other night just because I wanted to see something in our historic Fox Theatre. He was great, though should do more Rand B than middle of road. Love that you and husband jam - that is so cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You betcha! Can't wait to go to NYC again. After this trip, we will have gone there during every season. Really looking forward to seeing it in autumn. Re: concert -- I would do the exact same thing! Glad you had fun.

      Delete
  8. Happy Thanksgiving!

    You will love NYC --especially Central Park--in autumn! Have a wonderful time!

    I really enjoyed the Soul Train video---I am old enough to remember that show and that same dance first hand...lol! I also own some of the same albums you bought on E-Bay :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat! 4 sleeps to go! I have a bunch of your NYC posts saved on my laptop - you have the best tips for exploring NYC!

      Delete
  9. NY in the autumn is wonderful. Autumn in NY is a fav song of mine.
    When you mentioned the Rhodes all I could think of was Billy Joel's Just the way you are.
    I had tons and tons of albums and there have to be 5 or 6 players in my attic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to make my playlist for NYC this weekend -- Autumn in NY will definitely be on there! And New York State of Mind, of course. :)

      Delete