Saturday, August 17, 2013

Sir Paul made my week


August has been a complete blur.....and September is coming up fast.  Where did the summer go?  Actually summer did make an appearance this week after October-like conditions from last week (we attended a work BBQ at a partner's house and they actually had to rent outdoor heaters to keep everyone warm in their yard!)

Hubs and I went to the Paul McCartney concert on Wednesday night.  We had bought the tickets in the spring, then sold our tickets to my brother, but then he couldn't go because my nephew got sick that day (I felt so bad for K, he's a Beatles fan and that's why we sold them the tix so he could go!), so we re-bought our tickets (seriously!) and went.

And are we ever glad we did.  That concert was PHENOMENAL!

                    Waiting for the concert to start...then the Wave started after this photo was taken

Ok so previously I had considered myself more of a Rolling Stones girl (I have seen the Stones in concert too, they came here 7 years ago -- actually their two concerts here at Mosiac were the first huge concerts we had ever had and the first huge act to come to Regina) ...

.... and if I were to pick my favorite Beatle, I would have picked John. 

Well, that has now changed.  Paul McCartney IS A GENIUS.  You know how you've heard a song and kinda shrugged at it, went "meh, it's ok", because it just didn't mean anything to you at the time, then you hear the same song played live sometime later and it hits you in that way that YOU GET IT and suddenly you absolutely cannot wait to download the song after you get home from the concert, and you can't live without it now.   It never fails!   It happens to me EVERYTIME!    Only about 50 Beatles/Wings downloads from Itunes later....

                                           via

Sir Paul played for almost three hours and it only seemed like the concert was an hour long, it went by so fast.  He played about 7 or 8 different guitars (he mentioned a few were from the 1960s, one of the guitars he played was used on the recording of Sgt. Pepper), two pianos, bass, a ukulele....and his band was phenomenal.

He had some funny stories to tell about songs, paid tributes to John and George, his wife Nancy and his late wife Linda ....


                                          via

My standouts were:  Let Me Roll It (with some rocking guitar, I was rocking out to this one -- FAB), Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da (remember that show "Life Goes On"?), Live and Let Die (with incredible pyrotechnics), Blackbird, Band on the Run, Maybe I'm Amazed (one of my favs), Eleanor Rigby, Let It Be and Hey Jude.

So good.

The last 7 songs of his set were amazing, the energy kept building and building to the finale of Hey Jude.

Incredible.

Some people dressed up for the concert -- aren't these Sgt. Pepper outfits awesome?

                                          via

Sir Paul was very appreciative of his audience and took the time to bow after a song ended and acknowledge his audience.  He gave it his all for 3 hours, apparently this is his last concert before starting up the next leg of his tour in November.

Being it was a work night and we didn't want to be part of the 44,000 people stampede coming out of the stadium, we left during the first encore, listened to "Yesterday" outside of the stadium in the street before catching the shuttle back to our end of town.  Turns out we only missed a few songs.  

The next day at work, the concert was all the firm (and our clients!) could talk about.  Everyone had a favorite moment and a favorite song.

If you ever have a chance to see Sir Paul, go.  It's an event not to be missed!!


16 comments:

  1. Wow, what an experience. Sir Paul still looks good and so well dressed! He must have tons of energy to perform for three hours. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw him in Berkeley years ago and he was fabulous!! I wish he would come back! Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing beats a live performance! I was always more of a Beatles than a Rolling Stones fan...sounds like a brilliant night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul is on my bucket list....My favourite beatle was George. Love, love,love George. Well, I love them all actually! So glad you got to see him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have never seen Sir Paul and would so love too. My music teacher when I was at school went to school with Sir Paul and I literally grew up on his music. In fact my middle name is Michelle after the Beatles song (my mum was a huge Beatles fan. Could have been worse. I could have ended up as Eleanor Rigby!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the Beatles! So happy you got to go. I have had more to say but I have lost my comments 2x. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Heather! The video I posted wasn't working either. Blogger and other blog sites are being very wonky lately, the same thing is happening when I try to post a comment on your blog (I've tried commenting a few times now) but it keeps flipping me to a new page with an error message on it, right before I hit post. So annoying! :(

      Delete
  7. Loved the concert, it's in my Top 2 of all-time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LR, Paul is a genius! I'm so jealous. I know he puts on an amazing concert. He was just here for a festival and I guess he played forever too. Wish I got to see him. This is on my bucket list.

    Have you seen his tribute at the White House? It was great and fun to see. May still be on YouTube. I never tire of his songs and it blows me away how many fab ones he has written over so many decades!

    How about his youthfulness? Still has the energy and voice of a 30 year old! Gotta love that guy.

    Wonderful!! xxKim

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am definitely going to look up those videos on Youtube! Hubs and I listened to the Rubber Soul and Revolver albums on Friday evening while enjoying our after-work drinks :) Man, those guys were talented.

    I have felt so inspired after the concert, I haven't played the guitar in years but now I want to go to the music store to rent a guitar & an amp, like right now. lol

    It's amazing to me how Paul played that long and kept his energy up. You can tell he loves music and loves to perform, he's definitely not phoning it in!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fab night out - love that people dressed up too! Like you I'm more Rolling Stone but I've learned through the years that some entertainers just give good live and you need to go. We went to the Beatles Cirque De Soliel (?) thingy in Vegas and it was unbelievably good - you would love that too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, some performers have completely won me over with their live performances and Sir Paul was no exception! My bro and sis-in-law went to the Beatles show in Vegas too, they loved it.

      Delete
  11. He is wonderful. I really enjoy the song This Never Happened Before.
    Glad you enjoyed the concert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to look up that song! The songs from 'Rubber Soul' have been on a constant loop in my head since last Friday.

      Delete
    2. It was first used in the movie "While you were Sleeping" with Sandra Bullock. A very romantic scene.

      Delete