Friday, May 10, 2013

My favorite stapler and other random thoughts

Did I ever tell you the story of my legendary Milton stapler?




Long ago I used to have this really really crappy stapler at work.  Our part-time receptionist, who orders the supplies at work, (though not Lisa!) always orders the cheapest crap and every special request (otherwise known as a quality item a little more expensive) would be talked down with a scorned look and a dismissive wave of the hand.  You'd think she was paying for the supplies out of her own pocket.

So the stapler she ordered for me was one of those chintzy plastic stand-up staplers that doesn't even fit an entire row of staples in it.  Every time I would carefully open the stapler to put a new row in, the last few remaining staples would bunch up and shoot across the room. 

After 7 months of this, I had enough one day. 

Inspired by Officespace (one of my favorite movies), I stated my case and got approval from two partners to order a GOOD stapler for myself.  

Of course, I ordered the Milton Red Swingline stapler.  Still works brilliantly 6 years later!


I nearly caused an office scandal when the receptionist found out.  And there was nothing she could do about it ... though of course she complained to everyone (but not to my face).  Women in the workplace, I tell ya. 

Anyway.... I think these two people would be a fantastic addition to Dancing with the Stars:

Stefano and Marlena from Days of our Lives. 

                                               via


Brilliant and Hilarious.  Wouldn't that be something if they made it to the Final 2?  Do some sort of possessed routine for a tango or freestyle?

Hubs and I scored tix to the Paul McCartney concert in August.  I am more of a John Lennon girl myself but I do like me some Paul songs.  Better brush up on the tunes!  (Your favorite Beatle?)

Last Sunday's Mad Men episode - definitely the best this season and really, the best episode in years.  I laughed and laughed.  Especially at Pete.  I could spend an hour watching this


Happy Mother's Day weekend to all mothers, hope it is lovely!

22 comments:

  1. Your red stapler is just fab. It is the same in our office, very stingy with office supplies. So my friends at work and I, we buy our own, coloured pens, diaries etc. I hope you will enjoy the Paul McCartney concert. I prefer John Lennon too. Have a fantastic weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my stapler! Such a great red colour. And it still works really well, a very good investment. Much better than buying a cheap stapler every year!

      If there's something particular we need, we usually order it ourselves on the day when the receptionist isn't there! he he he

      Have a great weekend Pamela!

      Delete
    2. Such a funny story, that is actually a stunning looking stapler!

      Delete
  2. I remember the good old days when you could just help yourself to as much as you wanted from the supply cupboard.How I abused this privilege!I loved John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, the brightly coloured post-its were the best! Now we just order the boring yellow ones.

      Delete
  3. What a fun story of how you acquired your stapler. I have a Swingline - it is about 25 yrs old. It is a gem and works like a charm and like Sulky I think it found it's way into my handbag when the company went bankrupt
    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I love it. I am definitely taking the stapler with me if/when I go! Swingline makes great office products.

      Delete
    2. p.s. funny story - I have inspired other office workers to buy good staplers, hole punchers etc. Earlier this year, an assistant wanted to order a red stapler just like mine....and the ordering catalogue doesn't have them anymore! oh well!

      Delete
  4. Your red stapler is excellent, good for you for getting the company to invest in one. (Shh... but I kept my Swingline stapler and hole punch when I left my last workplace.)

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The secret is safe here! lol Have a great weekend too Louise, hope you are spoiled tomorrow by Hubs and the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have tried leaving a comment two other times in the past couple of days...three times is a charm, I hope!

    Only a chosen few could make the story of a stapler interesting. Well done. You are one of the chosen. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe glad you enjoyed it (and the comment was posted!) :)

      Delete
  7. I do not miss working in an office...at all!
    I think it's great that you ordered a red stapler instead of the standard black, you rebel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it! Red is one of my favorite colours.

      Sometimes I wish I didn't work in an office and just worked on my own. Maybe one day! I've always been the type to do my own thing and not align with the office b*tches! lol

      Delete
  8. Agree, Pete is just such a little snot and does not change which I love. Yes to the red stapler, it's amazing how much good these little guys can do. More of a John Lennon and after seeing the Circ D' Soleil thing on the Beatles I have a new appreciation of them (used to be much more Rolling Stones)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just realised I have not seen the latest one of him being punched? What's happening in my life that I have missed that... (trip down stairs was genius)

      Delete
    2. Pete's trip was the best! Oh the sucker punch was from last season when Lane gave it to him one day. That Jaguar account was cursed from the get-go (I miss Lane). Jared Harris was awesome in that role.

      Me too, I was always more of a Stones girl myself but I'm appreciating the Beatles stuff more now. Always was fascinated by John Lennon though. Last fall, Hubs and I spent a Saturday looking up Beatles/John Lennon interviews on youtube, we found the one from the Dick Cavett show (1971?), the one they used for Forrest Gump. The constant smoking, shag carpet and choice comments...well....that would all be censored nowadays!

      Delete
  9. Loved this! Isn't Office Space the best? Watched that so many times.. Totally agree about quality office items. When I worked I would lock everything before I left in a drawer. I swear my co-workers would steal my stuff! Those Swingline staplers are the best.

    So jealous you are seeing Paul. I have to say he is my all time favorite and puts on an amazing show. My son is in a Beatles chorus show right now and I was showing him Youtube videos and so many of Paul and his band were popping up..He has always been so good and just keeps getting better..Did you ever see the tribute to him at the White House? Very cool.

    Will be dying to hear all the details!

    xxKim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE Officespace, it's the kind of movie like Sixteen Candles, Fletch, Fletch Lives, Wedding Singer, Ferris Bueller, Christmas Vacation, etc that I laugh so hard each time I watch it... like it's the first time I'm seeing it! I had no idea until a few months ago that the writer/director (Mike Judge) played the manager of Chotchkie's -- he was SO GOOD and so ANNOYING! (Officespace was probably Jennifer Aniston's best movie, by the way). Hubs and I constantly quote lines from it.

      I actually put my name on a label and taped it on my stapler so that people would not get any stealing ideas. I sometimes hoard supplies (especially the good Bic green roller wite-outs) because you know they will be gone the day after the supplies come!

      I'll have to look up the tribute and other vids before the concert, I hope Paul plays some Wings tunes. My 11 year old nephew is big into the Beatles too. I wish I would have known that my bro & sis-in-law decided to opt out of the concert as I would have bought an extra ticket and took him along. Maybe his other uncle scored tickets, who knows?

      Delete
  10. Def. need a decent stapler! Such a small thing so silly you had to "fight" for it!! ox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great story and it proves the point that a better quality item will end up costing less in the long run...6 years on and still stapling? It was a bargain then.

    ReplyDelete