Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Mad Men Style

I received my new Banana Republic scarf and clutch purse last Thursday from the recent Mad Men Collection line.  Already worn the scarf twice since then.



See?  The lining of the clutch calls back to my dress!  Very snazzy.


I used to be a Joan Holloway girl and copy her early 1960s style (I still do, at times)

                                       via

Loved her Air France outfit:

                                       via 
   
                                                via  

I agree with bloggers Tom and Lorenzo who stated that Christina Hendricks should dress like this all the time on the red carpet.  She looks phenomenal here!

                                                      via

I used this Joan outfit as a style inspiration for our first Mad Men party:

                                         via


I have adored Megan Draper's workplace and party styles during the last few years on Mad Men.   I've always had a thing for certain prints, bright colours, a little drama and attention to the little details.  Megan's style is very similar to what I naturally gravitate to:

                                          via

                                                       via

                                         via

                                                        Credit:  AMC

                                         via

                                         via

                                         via

See, Megan has a dress just like mine

                                         via

I even love the Welcome, 1968 pantsuit and Megan's metallics:  (people will be divided over this. I know.)

                                         via

                                         via

Janie Bryant, the costume designer on Mad Men, has done wonders with each character's 'look' over the years.  I love reading Tom and Lorenzo's Mad Style series after each episode (they post on Wednesdays), these two hit it out of the park and explain how clothes & style tie into the storytelling.   Fascinating.

Other Mad styles I liked throughout the series (so far):

Trudy Campbell:

                                                 via

                                            via

                                                              via

Rachel Menken:

                                              via

Helen Bishop:

                                         via

And of course, the biggest ice queen of them all, Betty Draper Francis:

                                                             via

                                                           via

                                                                  via

                                                         via


19 comments:

  1. I love all the Mad Men fashions. I think Megan is my favorite as far as wardrobe goes.
    Great scarf and bag! You look fantastic in that green shade. It really works with your coloring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks A! I love green too and a new scarf & clutch is always a welcome addition to my closet.

      I don't know where Janie Bryant sources all of the costumes for the show, but she works wonders! She has such a great eye for what will look good on someone.

      Delete
  2. Love the lining on that purse! I love green and navy together. One of my fav combinations.
    The Jackie Kennedy boxy top suits were all the rage in around 1960-62 or so and everyone bought pill box hats to go with them.
    I love the royal blue gown. Just wonderful I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - I've always loved green & blue together and I wear that combo often.

      The royal blue gown is a stunner!

      Delete
  3. Lovely outfit! I must be the only person I know who has never watched Mad Men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my friends just started watching it on Netflix. It's definitely a show where you have to start watching at the pilot episode and go from there, it's not like Days of Our Lives where Stefano is terrorizing someone one year, you tune in 5 years later and Stefano is still terrorizing someone....LOL

      Delete
  4. These are pretty cute clothes, I must admit. I am looking forward to the release of the Great Gatsby and the influence that is likely to have on clothes styles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love them. The Great Gatsby styles should be wonderful too.

      Delete
  5. Love your style LR, the dress, scarf clutch combo is really fab. I watched on Sunday but couldn't make it through to the end. I loved the first two seasons but I've really lost interest in the current story line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks xoxo! Season 3 was definitely my favorite of Mad Men. Hopefully the writers can push some of the storylines forward this season - I'm not too impressed with Don!

      Delete
  6. You look like you could walk on the set of Mad Men...you should call them and tell them you are ready for your close-up. :) Love the bag and scarf...so up my fashion alley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks H - too bad I didn't win that Mad Men walk-on contest a few years ago! Darn. That would have been so cool.

      Delete
  7. that's a beautiful scarf! i gotta have that.. and ohh one of the best shades of green I've seen.. great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That scarf looks so fabulous on you and I've never seen in knotted like that before, it looks so casual and so smart. I have a short neck and I love scarves but they don't love me. Also love your bangs! The last picture of Betty (I'd forgotten how slim she really is) is perfection amongst a lot of perfect outfits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks J! I wear scarves almost every day, it's time to transition to spring/summer scarves now after wearing heavier scarves all winter. I like Betty's outfit too - the icy green matches her personality!

      Delete
  9. I love the scarf and clutch! This was so fun to see all the outfits since I don't watch the show. I really feel out of the loop. I'm going to try to start watching it during the Summer!

    These colors and styles really suit you!

    xx
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dear! I'm wearing the scarf again today, I just love it.

      Mad Men is on Netflix - I would definitely recommend starting with Season 1 and working your way through it.... as the seasons progress, many of the stories call back to a previous ep in a prior season or something that happened in a character's past.

      Delete
  10. love seeing people that love mad men and its fashion
    PD u look great with that scarf and clutch

    ReplyDelete