Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Is Spring Here?


I hope so!  How has your week been?  The snow is melting in stages......time to buy some wellies, I think!  Don't want to ruin my La Canadienne boots which I have been wearing for 3 solid months now.  I gambled on trying a new recipe for the in-laws last Saturday (always a dangerous thing) but my gamble paid off and my supper turned out delicious.....I looked up a few bacon-wrapped stuffed chicken recipes and made my own variation.....thought what the hell, can't turn out that terrible....supper won rave reviews.  Got away with that one!

Actually.... I have done that a few times, I have made recipes for company that I have never tried before ..everyone knows that's not a good idea, particularly when you are entertaining in-laws or someone who is an amazing cook and always entertains with ideas seemingly right out of a Martha Stewart Living magazine but I never try anything really wacked out or super ambitious.....I usually stick to something safe like chicken breasts or something similar to what I have made before   ...  though I made my first ham and scalloped potatoes for my mother-in-law's 75th birthday party a few years ago for 16 or 17 people and everything turned out great, I totally got away with that one too.  he he he

Our little baby nephew was baptized on Easter Sunday (well, actually make that great-nephew....yes, you read that correctly.... Hubs is the youngest in his family and comes from a big family, and he became an uncle at 6 years old and I'm actually younger than the nephew and niece who had the baby.....yaddy yadda.........)  Anyway Hubs is the Godfather and there was a big family celebration on Sunday, it was quite nice.  Showed up with Timmie's coffee and our part was done.  On to this week....our street is full of ridiculous ruts, my father-in-law got stuck in our driveway with his mini-van .... twice....on two different days.....  We are averaging pushing out people on our street at least twice a day now.

Oh well, hello to Amusing April!  Miserable March is finally over.  Hope everyone had a nice Easter weekend.

Just a few more days until we leave for Chicago!  I can't wait for vacation.   Thanks to everyone who gave such great suggestions for things to do, Hubs and I have quite the ambitious list going (as usual!)  I might even get suckered into going to a baseball game....we shall see...

Chat soon!

23 comments:

  1. Oh so happy you had a great weekend and congrats on the baby and your's husband's honour in becoming a godfather!!!

    I try new recipes all the time for company. I should know better, but I live life on the precipice! My husband always says "if you;re going to be a bear , be a grizzly bear!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We saw the baby again last night, he is pretty cute and very alert.

      We're an adventurous bunch. At our first Mad Men theme party a few years ago, I made classic 60s stuff that I had never made before (i.e. jellied salad with the bits of celery and carrot in it -- which I had not eaten since I was a little kid, and the meatballs in the slow cooker with grape jelly and Heinz chili sauce) and it actually turned out!

      I always have my moments of "Yup, I'm going to do this!!" then I have my panic moments of "OMG what am I doing?!!" and Hubs has to reassure me, then I go back to the "Oh, what the hell? At least I am cooking supper for people!" I run the gamut of emotions!

      Delete
  2. Finally, we have Springlike weather today. Hopefully, it will continue on so that the plants and flowers will bloom. Good thing your in-laws enjoyed what you cooked. Keeping it simple is always the best. Enjoy your vacation in Chicago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here too, it is actually quite nice outside today.

      Keeping it simple should be my motto! "Fuss-Free Fare!" :)

      Thanks Pamela!

      Delete
  3. I love it when I wing something in the kitchen and it turns out well. I've got a chef coming to dinner this weekend though, so I think I'll do something tried and tested. A great nephew - Congrats! Looking forward to hearing about your Chicago trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the greatest feeling ever? Especially if it's for someone who is a really good cook and they like it and are asking you about the recipe. Then I act like it's nothing and I've made the dish thousands of times before....lol

      Good luck with the Chef dinner Sulky!

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you are a good cook, I bet you could make anything you try turn out excellent.

    Chicago will be fun, hope you will post photos and share the stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks xoxo - I will definitely post photos and stories from the trip!

      Delete
  5. No way would I try something brand new for company...then again I experiment all the time when Bill's kids are here. Some things may not turnout as intended but still be very tasty! Chicago will be fabulous, I'm sure. Look forward to hearing all about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to Chicago too, it will be so nice to get away and have a little reprieve. This winter was really harsh around here!

      Delete
  6. Glad to hear supper went well. I suspect you are very good at entertaining anyway.
    Hope you will have a wonderful time in Chicago and that the weather there behaves for you.
    It is still chilly and cold at night here but spring seems to be coming around slowly.
    Can't wait to hear about your trip.
    .. PS. love Tim Horton coffee!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We live just down the street from a Timmie's, and there's another one further down in our area. One of my co-workers goes there every morning for coffee without fail. Even on weekends!

      I have gotten better at entertaining, I used to be quite daunted by the prospect but I am better about it now. Hubs has a big family so we usually take a turn hosting something so my sister-in-law doesn't have to host all the time. There have been times we have ordered takeout and we provide the drinks & dessert and everyone's been happy!

      Thanks Annie - I will post about it when I get back!

      Delete
  7. How very cool to be a great Aunt - I would love to say those words. Envy that you are so adventurous with trying recipes for first time with company - we always do that same very boring teriyaki chicken and when we've deviated its been a bit of a disaster. Had scalloped potatoes for the first time in years again at Easter - forgot how much I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I freaked a little at first but then I was like hey, that's pretty cool. Of course I got the great-auntie jokes from the family. One of my co-workers became a great-aunt at 11 years old! (She has a huge family, she is the youngest and was born an auntie).

    I envy your adventurous spirit! Your trips and excursions sound like so much fun and they make the best stories/memories.

    I actually haven't made the scalloped potatoes since the party. I should make them again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother was a young great aunt like you, then young mother and she always thought she'd be a young grandma - she hadn't reckoned on us three "girls' who couldn't find a hubster to save ourselves!

      Delete
  9. I wish I could find some enthusiasm for cooking again. I used to love cooking! Now I dread it everyday.
    Have a great time in Chicago! Can't wait to hear all about it.
    xo, A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks A! Cooking used to feel so daunting to me, actually Hubs used to cook when we were first married. I come from a family of great cooks so of course I felt like I could never be as good as them and I felt like I "should" know how to make this or that (esp. hard-core Polish/Ukrainian fare!) ... but ever since Hubs and I have been eating mostly Paleo diets, I have been trying different recipes, most have turned out quite well and I've become a little adventurous trying out ingredients. And I've dropped the "shoulds" (that seems to be my theme this year with everything in my life -- get rid of the shoulds!!)

      Delete
  10. Bacon wrapped chicken....that's funny....it's what we had for dinner last night...was wrapped in bacon, sloshed very generously with brandy and lots of those delish french lentils, then the whole thing bunged in the oven in the le creusset dish. Even for a semi-vegetarian like me it was truly delicious. Your spring should jolly well be there, because we have gone straight to winter, so what I want to know is where the hell has the warm weather gone to hide? If he aint in the south and he aint in the northern hemisphere, he must have gone on strike!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh brandy....I'll have to try that next time!

      It's been 6 solid months of winter and it was snowing again this morning! So ridiculous.

      Delete
  11. The flowers are so pretty and the meal sounds delicious! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the flowers too, they are the cheapie bunches at Safeway and last a long time!

      Delete
  12. Bacon wrapped stuffed chicken sounds yummy! You're brave to try new recipes on guests...could make for a very entertaining dinner. :)

    LisaF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - my friends are hinting at having a Mad Men catch-up viewing party in the next week or so as we were away when the Season 6 premiere aired....might have to come up with an interesting menu for that occasion!

      Delete