Friday, March 15, 2013

Heart Delivered ... and why I love Concerts

                                          via

What can I say about Ann and Nancy Wilson besides the fact that these two ladies know how to rock.   They make most of today's female singers appear like mere imposters with all the autotune, lip-syncing and tarted-up acts so prevalent these days. 

These two are the real deal.

Wednesday night's concert was inspiring.  Ann and Nancy are 62 and 59, and you would never know it.  They started out the concert with high energy and that energy never waned.

                                       via

                                via

Along with the obviously many women at the concert, there were an equal number of men at the concert, and they were rocking out big-time.   Heart performed Black Dog by Led Zeppelin as one of their encores and there was one guy with a massive long mane headbanging to the music.  He had to have been at least 60!!

So let's discuss Ann Wilson.  THAT VOICE!!  Some singers lose their range and power as they age, but Ann is not one of them.  She did almost all of the screams she is known for, including the one we all know and love from Alone.   She still hits all her high notes with such control.  What an amazing voice she has!  She belted out song after song....I am amazed at how she does it.  No wretched screeching, no warbling.  Just straight singing.

Speaking of Alone, that song was phenomenal.  It's Ann's Song and her #1 Single.  It was one of my favorites from the evening.  They performed an acoustic version with keyboards and Nancy's guitar, which really showcased Ann's voice. 

Nancy performed her #1 Single, These Dreams.  It was lovely and the 80s synthesizers were included too.

Isn't it fantastic both sisters had a number #1 single while singing lead vocals?

Let's discuss Nancy, who is an underrated guitar player.  It was because of her that I wanted to learn how to play guitar back in my teens.  Nancy rocked the intros to Barracuda and Crazy on You, equally rocked Magic Man and she can play with the best of them.  Her guitars are pretty cool too. 

Ann and Nancy have always been very inspirational to me.  I have much respect for what they have done with their music and paving the way for women in music.   I have been listening to their music since I was a little kid.   Even my Dad remembers when Alone was a big hit in the US - we both remember hearing it on the radio during one of our road trips to the US in 1987.  I remember my older sister and I would wash dishes and sing along to Heart songs ("you be Ann and I'll be Nancy!!")

With each concert I attend, there is usually one song that I love which may or may not be performed live ...it's a toss up but I always hold out the hope that the song will be performed live.  Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.  But when I'm lucky enough to have that moment, it is magic.  At Fleetwood Mac, it was Sara (a song they had not performed live in 14 years).  At Tom Petty, Don't Come Around Here No More.  At Roxette, Perfect Day.  And at Heart, Love Alive.  What great moments. 

And there's the songs that win me over.  You know, the songs that you didn't really like the original version....or didn't like it at the time..... or have never heard it before and you want to go home and download it right away.....the song makes sense.  Or it suddenly goes with the soundtrack of your life...... or sounds fantastic live. 

Of course, when the musicians play for the audience and appreciate their fans, that's the best.  Especially when you have been a fan for years.

13 comments:

  1. You lucky girl - I'd LOVE to have seen them. I think they're timeless. Sounds like a brilliant concert. There's a certain kind of high that you get from watching brilliant performers like these, that's hard to beat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. They totally rocked it and everyone got into it. Good light show too!

      Delete
  2. Happy that you got to see Heart live. I totally, 100% agree with you on the cr@p being produced today. Way way too much emphasis on producing music instead of just making music with your soul. It is telling that these ladies still rock many years after their start. Will Justin Bieber still be rocking in thirty years? Hmmm.

    Fortunately there are bands starting out that appreciate good ole rock and roll, but they seem to be flown over in favor of the auto-tune wonders. Sigh.

    At concerts, I find music that I barely noticed in the CD that I fall in love with live. Best example of that was at a Toad the Wet Sprocket concert in 1995 where I heard Crowing for the first time. OMG. Embedded on my brain forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL about the Beebs. Completely agree.

      Oh Toad the Wet Sprocket! I liked that song that was on the Friends Soundtrack. I'll have to look up that other one!

      Delete
  3. I loved Heart, hearing them takes me straight back to my days living in the US in the 80's.
    They still have excellent manes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love Heart! How lucky to see them live! There is nothing like a good concert with an amazing band! Glad Anne's voice is good - I thought that Barbra Streisand's voice was not strong at the oscars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly - they really are wonderful musicians. Ann played flute on a few songs too.

      Delete
  5. Yep, I'm a Heart fan as well. Would love to have seen that concert!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing post! Have a nice weekend:)

    http://theprintedsea.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im so glad I came over today, really want to go to Youtube now and see more of these woman. And love love that they look like REAL women too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a fantastic concert. I know they are coming here soon and I'd love to see them because who know when they may stop touring? I love that they are older and still bring it! No rockers today can hold a can hold a candle to them. I think they will go down in history as one of the most talented bands ever.

    xx
    Kim

    ReplyDelete