Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Winner Is....

The Canon Powershot SX240 HS!

                  I took this photo with the Sony camera...it still takes crappy photos!!

Thanks to everyone for their helpful camera suggestions.  May I have many happy camera moments in the near future!


Favorite cousin S bought me this book for Christmas, as Jackie and I are pretty tight.  I finished the book in two days - well written and quite respectful.  Nothing scandalous.  I bought S a Marilyn book for Christmas, as she and Marilyn are pretty tight.   We both read "Are You a Jackie or a Marilyn?" way back when.   S discovered she is a lot like Jackie, and I can relate to Marilyn.  Who knew?

I'm now reading "You Couldn't Ignore Me if You Tried:  The Brat Pack, John Hughes, and Their Impact on a Generation"....as you know, I love the 1980s and especially John Hughes moviesSo far, I've learned that Demi Moore was just as crazy then as she is now and was told to clean up her act before filming started on "St. Elmo's Fire"...by the end of filming, she and Emilio Estevez were engaged .....Judd Nelson almost got fired from "The Breakfast Club" because he believed in Method Acting all-the-time (remember his character? this clip is a tame one) ......and John Hughes absolutely adored Molly Ringwald and basically wrote "Sixteen Candles" for her.  She didn't even have to audition for the part. 

                                                           via

And Gedde Watanabe (Long Duk Dong) was born in Utah and grew up there.  He got a Korean friend to help him out with his accent for the audition for "Sixteen Candles".

This scene is one of my favorites in the movie.  Every so often, Hubs and I do Grandpa's clap and say "Dong?  Dong?  Where is my automobile?"  Especially in crowded parking lots when we are looking for the car.



Off to watch the "What Not To Wear" Premiere with Tiffany!

15 comments:

  1. Great choice on the Canon Camera. May you take lots of Happy photos with your new camera! I love Jackie O too! Jackie is so elegant, strong and very intelligent. Enjoy watching "What Not To Wear."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm looking forward to taking photos...I have a few occasions coming up to test out the camera!

      Delete
  2. Yay for Canon! I love my Canon cameras. They are wonderful little machines.

    I love the whole '80's Brat Pack era, too. So not surprised to hear that Demi was a little different even back then. And who wouldn't love Molly? She was such a darling teenager. I wanted to be her when I was in high school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Molly Ringwald is still pretty cool, I read her book last year. She's all Parisian now.

      Delete
  3. Good luck with your new camera, I like the look of it. I've never seen Sixteen Candles, so I have just ordered it from Amazon. I'm not one bit surprised that Demi was "difficult" even that far back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Demi's whole life has been difficult!

      Glad you ordered Sixteen Candles.....so very 1980s and it has the kind of snort-worthy humour I love!

      Delete
  4. Great buy on the camera! I graduated high school in 81, but we watched all of Hughes' movies in university and they were/are great! I am going to have to look for that book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The camera was on sale too! I was very pleased.

      I found the book at the library before Christmas. Hubs wants to read it after me so I better hurry up and finish it!

      Delete
  5. I am sure your made a good decision on your camera. I will look forward to seeing and hearing about it.
    I have not seen the movie Sixteen Candles and shall add to my list.
    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your advice -- I think the model you mentioned was an older one but I was sold!

      Delete
  6. I am off to buy that Brat Pack book NOW! I hadn't even heard of it before. What a hoot!! : )

    Congrats on the camera...can't wait to see how it performs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love it, I finished it last weekend, even Hubs was getting into it. Lots of behind the scenes info!

      Delete
  7. Enjoy the camera!
    I have a Canon Power Shot A560 and I enjoy it a lot.
    I really enjoyed Breakfast club and I must say I miss the 80's.
    I wish we could pick eras and just stay in them for a while. Maybe even move from era to era as we wished!
    The Jackie book looks interesting and I will look for the Brat Pack book as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the 20s, 30s, 60s and 80s time periods, so fascinating. I wish I could do a Midnight in Paris and have a vintage style cab pick me up at midnight every night to some different era!

      Delete