Sunday, December 30, 2012

My Holidays.

Thank you everyone for the lovely Christmas wishes, Mr. M/E and I had a wonderful Christmas together.  It was not as quiet as we expected it to be though, we had several family visits throughout and we hosted most all the in-laws one night for a "Chinese and Leftovers" Party, which thrilled the masses (and helped to clean out our fridge).  Hosting Duty for this year = done.

My Mom, who cannot bear for people to not eat well or starve, brought "Christmas" food a few weekends before Christmas so I would have something to serve to company (things I have not yet learned how to make -- like perogies, cabbage rolls, nalysnysky, homemade salsa, etc).  Once again, my Mom's "Catering from Afar" food did not disappoint.   Mom is one of the best cooks in our family. 

Before we were married, Hubs and I celebrated the same traditions for Christmas as we are both one part Ukrainian.  So nothing really changed after we got married -- though we learned early that splitting up the holidays (and the masses) was really the best way to go.  Christmas Eve is the big event - someone hosts the meatless supper, everyone goes to Midnight (or earlier) Mass and presents are opened when everyone is there.  (As a side note, I played the organ at church on Christmas Eve and attempted some new organ settings with certain songs -- i.e. trumpet -- or "trompette 8" -- it went very well.  Relief!!)

Unfortunately, with all that rich eating for days on end came the nasty bloat.  Erf.  Hubs and I have declared that diets are in order for the New Year and the evil culprit POP will be banished from the house.  Back to a mostly veggies and meat diet!  Hubs and I try to only have carbs a few times a week.

Giftys!

Hubs bought me the periwinkle scarf, my sister-in-law bought me the hat.  I love hats and I have been wearing a different hat over the past few weeks whenever we go out.


Mom and Dad bought me a Downton Abbey calendar.  Mom buys calendars for everyone as one of her Christmas gifts, so it's best to tell her which one you want.  Hubs received a Star Trek one and he was delighted.  I bought Hubs (and myself) the Simon and Garfunkel concert DVD as one of his presents.


We watched a special on PBS a month or so ago about Simon and Garfunkel, "Songs of America", so of course I downloaded about 20 songs from Itunes and have been listening to them ever since.   I just love "America" (both the country and the song) - such a good tune (song starts at 0:56 in the video):



Christmas is usually the time to catch up on movies, I must be on a Meg Ryan kick (both pre and post plastic surgery) - first up, "You've Got Mail" and then I made Hubs watch "Kate & Leopold" last night.... Well, he sat next to me on the couch making snarky comments throughout while looking up finance gurus on the internet .... I also watched "Country Strong" with Gwyneth Paltrow.  I'm not really a big fan of Gwynnie and one crying scene was a little too Tammy Faye Baker for me with all the mascara running down her face, but I have to say otherwise she was quite good in this movie.  Tim McGraw was good too.  Playing drunken country girls suits Gwynnie!  She spoke about her role in this interview with Sulky Kitten earlier this year.

My Christmas Orchid (king guey) is blooming!  Let's hope I can keep this one alive.  The last orchid wasn't so successful.


Happy New Year to everyone -- Hubs and I will probably spend a quiet evening at home.  Frankly, I am happy this year is almost over -- it's been a tough one for many people.

But instead of dwelling on that, let's raise a virtual glass and toast to a marvellous New Year!  Thank you to all of you for reading and commenting.  Best to all of you in the New Year!




via






28 comments:

  1. My orchids are now ancient , I always grow them back, you can do it!
    Tell me about the bloat, hubs has put on 13lbs in 10 days I kid you not. I've put on 5, feel like a small heifer, and we don't even have any 'pop'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've put on at least 5 pounds! Ugh. The drinks, the BAKING and the perogies. I have banned that crap until at least Easter!!

      Delete
  2. Oh, my...we truly must be soul sisters. :) We share a love for Christmas Eve festivities (we open presents late on Christmas Eve, as well), hats (gorgeous one you have there), and music (LOVE Simon and Garfunkel).

    Happy New Year to you all, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The scarf looks so cozy and that hat is a beauty, I love a cloche. Your paragraph on Gwyneth made me laugh. My husband is often surfing the ipad while making snarky comments on whatever I am watching so I can totally relate. Of course I watch some pretty lame shows, like the Patridge Family and one of my all-time favorites, the Beverly Hillbillies. I'm setting myself up for ridicule I suppose.

    Well I would love to be at the dinner table with your family, the Ukrainian food sounds delightful. I hope you have a wonderful time ringing in the new year and all the best in 2013.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hubs likes to chat and ask questions during movies (if he's bored with it) ... my mother-in-law does the same thing, so I know where he gets that from! ha ha

      Oh I am the queen of lame shows....Real Housewives anyone?

      Delete
  4. I kid you not...just today I was thinking about wanting to see the movie "You've Got Mail" (one of our faves and it has been a while) which lead me to think about "Kate and Leopold" (then I splintered off thinking of Hugh and how much I was looking forward to seeing him in "Les Mis"...) Once the tangent circled back around to Meg Ryan, I found myself thinking (FOREVER) about how much her looks have changed, not necessarily for the better, from plastic surgery. And then I wondered has her career nose-dived (pun intended) with the increase in surgery??? She was so fresh faced and different from the Hollywood norm when she first started out. Then she started looking like everyone else. I hope Angelina Jolie takes a lesson from this (her original nose is already gone). Sigh.

    Sounds like you have had fun with the family...enjoy getting back on track for 2013.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! Oh yes, we had the Meg Ryan Plastic Surgery chat last night during the movie. Hubs actually looked up the plastic surgery link and we definitely agreed her career tanked after 2002. I can't remember the last movie she was in!

      Then we looked up Dennis Quaid, and, well, he hasn't turned out so great either!!

      And Angelina Jolie? Well, she is looking better than Brad these days!

      Delete
  5. Ha! Thanks for mentioning my interview with old Gwynnie - she still hasn't thanked me! I'd move your mother in because her cooking sounds delicious! I love all that hearty fare. Happy New Year to you and your Mr.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Gwynnie is so ungrateful.

      Mom is a great cook - I have big shoes to fill!

      Delete
  6. I love your hat! Am determined to find hats that suit me, for warmth in winter (but it can't blow off!) and to provide shade in summer. Your Mom's cooking sounds brilliant. Be sure to get her recipes and start practicing while she's still around to help! Sad about Ryan, but she did it to herself. More of Hollywood needs to remember Katharine Hepburn - or Maggie Smith, for that matter. I joined a gym on Friday, I was so horrified by my scales... Every year has its challenges, but I always look forward to the positive things the new year will / might bring! Best wishes for 2013!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hats blowing away was my problem too, the cloche style works quite well for me now.

      Mom will have to give me tutorials, Julia Child style!

      Good luck with the gym - Hubs and I want to get in shape too, we're turning into a bunch of rolly poleys! ha ha

      Delete
  7. Happy New Year to you! Sounds like you got lovely gifts for Christmas! I am happy and sad to see the end of 2012. Here's to a much better 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have the happiest of new years with problems all well behind you.
    So glad I got to 'know' you in the past year. I have enjoyed your posts so very much.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I've enjoyed your posts & comments as well. Take care and all the best for 2013.

      Delete
  9. You look great in your scarf and that periwinkle colour is so pretty.
    Happy New Year and I hope that your troubles are a distant memory.
    Cheers,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - periwinkle is not a colour I wear often, so it's nice to shake things up a bit.

      Delete
  10. I was thinking about "You've Got Mail" for a different reason - Delia Ephron is one of the writers! (She recently wrote a little essay for the New York Times in which she complained about poor customer service).

    Love that periwinkle! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you -- I must find that essay....I'm sure she had plenty to say!

      Delete
  11. Wishing you a very Happy New Year, LR! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your hat is too cute!! I was going to ask if your Mom is polish because mine is of the same variety: food = love. Happy New Year to you!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and same to you! Oh yes, she is Polish - so is Dad. Glad you can relate!

      Delete
  13. Loving your hat and scarf! Perfect for right now. Your holiday sounds like ours and I went on a New Year's Day hike to get some of the poundage off. It's going to take a while...We still have lots of sweets in house and I'm going to pitch them as soon as the men don't notice!

    I'm going to check out the Simon and Garfunkel CD. Another wonderful band I love. Aren't movies at the holiday's the best? Great excuse to watch all my favorites and my husband does the same thing, while pretending to work!

    Happy New Year!
    xo
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made Hubs watch Love Actually with me on New Years Eve - he admitted some parts were pretty funny. We are thinking of working with a trainer at a gym this month to get in shape. We shall see how that goes...

      Delete