Monday, October 8, 2012

October Fun


It is Thanksgiving Day in Canada.  Hubs and I stayed home and I made a lasagna.  See here for the yummy recipe, which has been one of my go-to recipes for about 5 years.  (Note:  I never use the dried parsley, I use fresh parsley and chop it up.  I think next time I will try chopped kale).   Unfortunately I don't have a photo of the full lasagna, only the emergency slices stored in the freezer.   (Emergency?  Oh who are we kidding?  Everything will be eaten by the end of this week!)


Kale kale kale.....I am trying to incorporate kale in my diet.   I tried making my own chicken noodle soup last week, which turned out pretty good (aside from a slightly vegetal taste), I added some chopped up bits of kale in it.   I want to try Dani BP's kale crepes, and I plan to try kale chips, which Gwynnie and everyone else seems to rave about.

Any other ideas for kale?

* * *

Our renos are coming along swimmingly, the master bedroom and walk-in closet are now completed!  For the before photos and full photo of the updated walls/floor, see here:

The master is painted Marble White by Benjamin Moore.

Take a look:

                                new sun-block blinds and new lamp


                                        new night table

To see the closet before renos, see here:

The paint in the walk-in closet is Distant Grey by Benjamin Moore.   The closet organizer is from Martha Stewart Living.    I LOVE IT!!



                          An empty shelf....time for more hats, I think!
                           Glamour Drops would probably agree.


We got our blinds installed, which will keep out the searing sun (at least in summer, anyway):


We are halfway done painting the basement, which was a little trickier than what we had anticipated, especially painting around the stairs.  The previous owner attempted to make the basement his little man cave, and it feels like a dark dingy cave.   Hopefully the basement will be done this week!

* * *

Look at what I came across whilst browsing through my records.


The Cars debut album!  I had no idea I had this record (I am thinking maybe Mom picked it up at a garage sale for me years ago?) and I was actually going to buy the record online once I bought a turntable!   I have been listening to the songs from this album lately....so good.  Moving in Stereo blends into All Mixed Up....love it.   After I found it, I startled Hubs by my shrieks and OMGs and I CAN'T BELIEVE I HAD THIS RECORD ALL ALONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Little Joys!



I'm about two months behind here but I was so excited when I heard Kate Bush's Running Up That Hill remix at the Olympics Closing Ceremonies in London (and watching the Spice Girls reunion, I'm not going to lie).   It would have even been better had Kate been there to perform the song live!   But since you and I know that will never happen, a new remix will have to suffice.  I know I mentioned previously that Hounds of Love was my favorite Kate song, but ever since the summer, I have been listening to both versions of Running Up That Hill (the original and the remix), and both are incredible.  I had to listen to the remix a few times to get used to the new version and new vocals (true to form whenever I listen to a Kate song), and then you get it.  This one sounds more raw than the original and sounds great on the Ipod.  Especially while you are painting!

24 comments:

  1. Your home is progressing very nicely. I love your bedroom and you choice of decor. I am envious of your wardrobe.

    Lasagne is always a favourite of ours.
    Wishing you a very Happy Thanksgiving

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving! Your walk in closet looks so nice. Very organized. I enjoyed the remix version of the Kate Bush song. Made it for modern. I am sure listening to it while painting energized you.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did, indeed! I love that version. Glad you liked the closet!

      Delete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving!
    I have closet envy. Mine is so small - ranch house 1960's old school. Yours is fantastic!

    No kale ideas here...not a big fan of the stuff. Maybe I should try again. So many people love it and I know it's so good for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know, it's been a bit of a challenge adding kale to dishes. Slowly but surely.

      Delete
  4. Your master bedroom looks great. I am so envious of your new wardrobe! Re: kale, I have been eyeing it every time I go to the supermarket but have no ideas. I was in Calgary last month, and went to a steak house for dinner one night - they served kale as the side dish, and it was delicious, but I soon figured out it had been sautéed in a ton of butter

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise! My Dr. has given me the warning to ease off the butter as the cholesterol was getting a tad high. Olive oil from now on! All my other levels are good, I was worried I wasn't getting enough iron or calcium but everything ok there.

      Delete
  5. I loved the Cars! Oh I also love doing housey things, your wardrobe is fab, think of the fun you'll have organising in there.
    I do like kale but not when I cook it, Wholefoods does a good saute of it which is just delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabitha & Vanessa - I wish we had a Whole Foods here but unfortunately we don't.... but I will check my supermarkets & groceries here for it.

      I've already re-organized my closet twice! :)

      Delete
  6. Your renovations are looking gorgeous. I love your closet.
    As for Kale, I think Tabitha has the best suggestion-Wholefoods ;-)
    TYSM for your lovely comments over at mine xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chicken soup with kale sounds my kind of soup. Am loving your light - so beautiful and your closets just put mine to shame! I love how they are all sectioned and so pretty looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've been trying to keep it organized and not turn it into a dumping ground for stuff like it was before!

      Delete
  8. I really enjoy lasagna too and I will be trying your recipe quite soon.
    Your closet is wonderful. I agree you should buy a ton of new hats!
    Your renovations are coming along nicely and the bedroom looks great. The lamps are so nice and I like the idea of the light blocking shades.
    I found THESE Kale recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link - I want to try the farfalle recipe and the turnovers recipe.

      There's at least 4 hats on the Nordstrom site I want to buy -- all cloche hats, I love them!

      I recommend the light blocking shades, both blinds have done wonders! We want to have blinds installed in the guest room as well.

      Delete
  9. Your home is looking so pretty. Love your closet! The paint colors are all so pretty too.

    I have made Kale in ceasar salad form and it's good. I also put a handful in a blender with a cup of frozen mango chunks, a glass of oj and water with protein powder. It makes a great shake. I need to try the chips.

    Love Kate Bush! You are so cute with finding that cars album!
    Have a good weekend!
    xo
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kim - I just found your comment in my spam box - eek! I definitely want to try your smoothie, it sounds good. The kale chips turned out ok. I found a recipe for mashed potatoes with kale, I am going to try it out this weekend.

      Delete
  10. Love the kale crepes idea! We have a garden full of the stuff - it's dead easy to grow and it is v. nutritious. Envy you your new closet! May I make a suggestion, that you have your links open in a new window? Makes it easier to come back and read more of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip Shelley - I am going to look up how to do that. :) Hopefully it works!

      Delete
  11. I had a vegetable stew with kale yesterday--it was delicious. Anytime a soup or stew calls for spinach, I am going to start using kale instead.

    I love the Cars! Whenever I hear their music, I think of Middle School and my wedding DVD (our video guy used a couple of their songs on it).

    Your home improvements look wonderful! I am very envious of the closet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great kale tip! After I made the lasagna I was kicking myself for not including kale....next time I will try it with kale instead of parsley.

      Thanks Heather! p.s. I tried commenting on your blog the other day but I'm not sure if my comment posted, I will go back and try again!

      Delete
  12. Just stopping by to wish you a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What I'd give to have a walk in closet! I'm crazy about kale and I tend to put it in soups, casseroles, turn it into chips etc etc.

    ReplyDelete