Monday, July 2, 2012

My Long Weekend

Happy Canada Day Weekend!  Although yesterday was Canada Day and I do feel patriotic (I admit it, I tear up whenever I hear the national anthem proudly sung), my weekend had a distinct British feel to it.


First, Hubs and I went to Vintage Tea Room on Saturday afternoon, where we enjoyed our first Royal High Tea.  I am now officially in love, and where can I get a spectacular silver tea service?  Sign me up, please.  The teacups and saucers were magnificent too.  No two were the same.


We enjoyed the sandwiches, scones and dainties, but the real winner was the Windsor Castle Tea.  I'm on the hunt for it now!


Hubs was all excited to find Yorkie chocolate bars and Walkers crisps at the Tea Room, a callback to his University days in York.  We bought some goodies and some tea.


I went to Presents Gift shop next, which has a delightful collection of Royal souvenirs - plates, cups, dolls and this fab Duchess Catherine bridal ornament.  I had to have it.


On Sunday, we attended the Lieutenant-Governor's Garden Party at Government House.  I wore my new Lauren by Ralph Lauren dress, (first seen here) and my blue fascinator.  

With my hair heavily sprayed into place and that fascinator not moving one inch, we spent a lovely afternoon at Government House.


Government House was the residence of the Lieutenant-Governor, first for the North-West Territories, then for Saskatchewan.  The house is now a museum, and as you walk through the rooms, it is like a mini Downton Abbey set.  All of the rooms are decorated as if it were circa 1916.


                                Governess' Room

      I could definitely imagine Carson, Thomas and William serving dinner in this dining room

                         The Drawing Room


                                    The Ballroom

                                 The Conservatory



                                         Jubilee cookies served at the party

We viewed the exhibitions inside the new wing at Government House, which highlighted Her Majesty's past visits to Saskatchewan.  Outside on the grounds there were children's activities, music entertainment, staff dressed in period costumes and people milling about the gardens. 

Later that afternoon, we joined up with our friends and their son to watch the Sunset Retreat Ceremony at the RCMP.   The Cadets marched while the Pipe Band performed, then the RCMP Band played for the remainder of the ceremony.  Besides marching, there was a gun demonstration, which was the highlight of the ceremony.  The police dogs and their trainers also made an appearance at the beginning of the ceremonies to highlight what the police dogs learn during their training.  Those dogs are SMART.



 
Gun demonstration




 The RCMP Chapel, the oldest building in Regina.  Many RCMP Constables have gotten married here.

After the Sunset Retreat Ceremony was over, we went over to our friends' place for drinks and visiting.  

I was thrilled to check off a few items from my Summer Bucket List this past weekend.   What's on your Summer Bucket List?

18 comments:

  1. What a great weekend! You look wonderful in that dress. Yorkie bars - ha when I was kid I could barely fit them in my mouth - I can mail them over anytime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to admit, the Yorkie bar was good. I snuck a few bits of it before Hubs demolished it all!

      Delete
  2. That's my kind of weekend! And you just can't beat a proper cup of tea. That dress is so you - really lovely. I'm still waiting for Summer to happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully we've had fairly good weather here, some rainstorms but for the most part it actually feels like summer. I remember many years of crappy weather on July 1st - the worst was the year of the Princess Diana concert (2007?), we were all cooped up inside the cottage watching the concert as it was so cold out.

      Delete
  3. Fun times! I love taking tea as you and hubs did. I try to do a High Tea a couple of times a year...usually with a girlfriend. And I am lovin' that dress too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will be partaking in High Tea a few times a year too. My new love!

      Delete
  4. What an extraordinary weekend! You packed so much into it. A bit of history, a bit of fashion (the dress looks divine on you), a bit of culture and delicious food to boot. I love it when old houses are decked out in the furniture and furnishings of their origins - so much fun to imagine how life would have been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly - I could imagine Lady Mary and Lady Edith sparring in the Drawing Room at Government House!

      Delete
  5. What a lovely day you had! The last time I had high tea must have been over 10 years ago, when we had visitors from overseas, and we took the ferry to Victoria, and patronized ye olde Hotel Fairmont. Thanks for sharing the pics, esp. the RCMP ceremonies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see Hotel Fairmont sometime (and Victoria), it's on my list of places to see.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful weekend! The pictures are wonderful.
    I love things like that.
    My list includes thick cut French Fries on the boardwalk with malt vinegar on them and cotton candy.(Can you tell I am hungry?)
    Not very fancy but, oh so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum...French Fries....I cannot wait for fish and chips at our favorite place this summer, it is located in the next resort town over from where my in-laws' cottage is....last year the place was closed when we wanted to go and I was so mad! he he

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the dress compliments everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, now I know what's missing from my life: a conservatory! What a great day, and you looked poised and confident throughout the whole adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks WFF! I would love a conservatory or a sunroom...maybe in our future cottage one day, who knows?

      Delete
  9. Sounds like you had a fabulous weekend! Thank you for sharing the photos. I also love a proper English-style high tea, especially the clotted cream and scones. You look lovely in the Ralph Lauren dress and fascinator!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise! The clotted cream and scones were excellent, I want to find a good scones recipe now so I can make them at home.

      Delete
  10. Fun! Tea looks so good. I really like your dress and fascinator! Just catching up on all your posts! Lots to see in Canada. I'd love to get up there someday.

    Kim:)

    ReplyDelete