Thursday, July 5, 2012

Cottage Bound

In a few days, I will be vacationing at my in-laws' cottage.


I've been going to the cottage for almost 10 years now, I started vacationing there the summer after Hubs and I started dating.  My first visit made me feel like how Jackie O must have felt when she first met the Kennedys .... loud family and kids everywhere, not really much (if any) privacy.....loud opinions but thankfully no touch football games you were expected to take part in.   I'm used to the atmosphere now but Hubs and I decided early on to go out to the cottage when not everyone will be there!  Hubs prefers smaller visits too.  We jokingly call the cottage "The Kennedy Compound" after Joe & Rose Kennedy's Hyannis Port digs and family gatherings.

                                                   via

                                                  via

I really enjoy the area, it feels like a mini-Hamptons.  It doesn't feel like you are on the prairies at all.  Each town and village has a distinct feel to it and there's several things to do.....or you can do nothing at all and be perfectly content.


We are quite lucky we have a place to go in the summer, Hubs has been going to the island for almost 30 years now.  His family rented a trailer on the island the first few years.  Then they bought a smaller cottage, sold it when they wanted to expand and then built their now cottage.  It is winterized and my in-laws live there all year long.  Hubs' cousins now own the original cottage and vacation there during the summer.


The cottage is located 10 minutes away from where the TV Series Falcon Beach was filmed a few years ago.  I actually didn't know about the show until after the show had wrapped but I've seen re-runs (which are still on TV) and I love the show, even though sometimes it can be a bit cheesy....kind of like a Canadian Dawson's Creek on summer holidays.   We've found some of the filming locations in the Interlake area but still haven't been able to find the Bradshaws' cottage.  We go cottage-stalking every summer for it.  One of the former directors from the show lives a few cottages down from my in-laws, she directed quite a few episodes and is now involved with other projects.   

                                                                   via

Anyway, we have our usual must-dos.....fish and chips at our favorite spot, a boat ride for sure, canoeing if the water is calm, eating out at our favorite places, maybe taking in a cheesy movie at the town theater.   The theater always show movies a month or two after the movies were initially released and the theater feels like it is from the 1960s, complete with the old-school concession counter right when you walk in the door.   You can't not buy candy!  I have a lunch date planned with Superfab cousin S at our favorite tea house, she lives an hour away.

Speaking of Jackie O, I hope to finish the Jackie Conversations while at the cottage and do some more reading.  

Have a great week!

29 comments:

  1. Sounds perfectly lovely! What a great getaway for you both.
    A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait...today was an "obnoxious" day at work (way too crazy busy) so I am looking forward to the time off.

      Delete
  2. I think it sounds beautiful to actually own a cottage on an island, knowing that you can go whenever you please, pending that nobody else in the family wants it first.

    Hope you have a very relaxing time. mmm...fish and chips by the beach. Does life get any better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it doesn't! I am not too sure what will happen with the cottage eventually, if other family members will want it or not. Hubs and I would perhaps like to build our own cottage one day.

      Delete
  3. Sounds wonderful. Save me some fish and chips please!
    Looks like a lovely place.
    Yes, Kennedys were a bit too competitive for my taste. I would prefer a slower pace also.
    Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Kennedys were super-competitive! I would never last with the football games and political debates all the time!

      Delete
  4. Oh it looks fantastic. Luckily you get warmth at this time of year, up north on any of the islands would be like the frozen tundra just now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed for good weather this year! We're due for it!

      Delete
  5. It sounds idyllic. I loved Dawson's Creek, so I bet I'd have loved Falcon Beach! Angsty teenagers are hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those shows too and the production on Falcon Beach was actually pretty good. Too bad the series was cancelled, Hubs and I could have been extras had we known about it earlier!

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful summer getaway. Enjoy the family and the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like such a wonderful place to escape to! Have a fantastic time, and let me know what you think of the Jackie Conversations when you finish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that cabin beach holiday sounds divine.
    Enjoy your leisure time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hostess, I definitely need a mini-break and I plan to enjoy every minute!

      Delete
  10. Sounds so wonderful.I love cottages and getting away from it all. I hope you have a lovely holiday!

    xo
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! The cottages in the area are very nice, I always take photos and say to Hubs "I want the gazebo from this cottage and the dock from that one and the veranda from that one and the windows from that one"....etc

      Delete
  11. Beautiful! How lovely to have a cottage to go to (read: jealous). Enjoy, enjoy...especially while you have it when it is quiet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will, thanks Bliss! I have a pile of books to bring along and intend on reading most of them.

      Delete
  12. Enjoy your vacation! It's so nice to have a vacation spot that you can return to year after year!

    I've picked you for One Lovely Blog Award, posted on my blog tonight.

    http://onetoomanyclosets.blogspot.ca/2012/07/road-trip-and-lovely-award.html

    Thanks for sharing your reads and Mad Men parties!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like absolute heaven, white sands, your own cottage and smores in the evening. Glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope you are enjoying summer.

    I nominated you for an award on my blog today!
    xo
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  15. This all sounds thoroughly wonderful LR and I'm green with envy!
    I do trust you are having a brilliant holiday.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Miss your posts! Hope things are going beautifully for you!
    Have a lovely weekend. *waves northward*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear - just posted a new post today, apologies for being away for so long! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  17. How lovely to have an island cottage to visit! We've often talked of buying a vacation home, but always come back to the idea of wanting to see different places. Hence, our decision to buy a motorhome. But going back to a familiar place is also quite nice and cozy. Brits are famous for going the same place year after year, even without owning a place: they like predictability I guess. I suppose we get that when we visit family in the US or Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly - in some ways Hubs and I would like to own a cottage one day, but we love traveling and visiting different places, so the travel wins out every time!

      Delete