Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Times Have Changed

So, for any of you wondering what the heck Marie and Roger were talking about during Mad Men's finale on Sunday (what's a Regina?) - I'll tell you.  My city got a shout-out on the show!  Megan's Dad (a university prof) definitely would have given a speech at the U of R back in 1967, and Marie even pronounced 'Regina' correctly.  (Mick Jagger likes to rhyme it with something else.)

.....and that shout-out was probably the most exciting part of the show.  Otherwise, I found the finale a little anticlimactic.  One online reviewer commented that the best season of Mad Men ever was Season 3, and I have to agree.  The last three episodes of that season were absolutely incredible.  I did enjoy this season but I felt they could have done more with the finale episode.  I promptly forgot about it the next day.

Anyway, we did host a smaller scale Mad Men Party on Sunday, it probably will be our last one until the series finale.  We don't want our parties becoming stale and boring and predictable!!  I had these two costumes ready to go for the party:





.....but I could not wear them because of HIPS!!  Most women in the 1960s were teeny-tiny with no hips whatsoever!!  Size Twiggy.   Very disappointing, because the yellow number would have been perfect!  The white dress is Mom's wedding dress, which I can barely get on.   Arrghhhhhh  T-i-g-h-t.

I had to come up with an outfit pretty quickly, so I threw together a quasi Mrs. Robinson/Elaine Robinson number, Hubs dressed up as a Bobby Kennedy staffer and our friends dressed up as two hippies and a Hare Krishna dude (ala Paul Kinsey).


Times have changed from our Mad Men parties circa 1963!

21 comments:

  1. I am loving that yellow dress...
    your experience with smaller circa 1950's hips so resembles mine!

    Hope that your party was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello:
    The idea of a 'Mad Men' party appeals to us enormously as does anything mad when it comes to it. Spare us all, we say, from the conventional which is, for the greater part, so very tedious. And what fun we imagine you have at these parties, and how exciting deciding what to wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes and we always compile an appropriate playlist too, which did include Zou Bisou Bisou (from the premiere episode!) :)

      Delete
  3. I am loving the little yellow number, it looks beautiful.I could happily just sit and stroke its loveliness for hours! I still haven't watched a single episode of Mad Men!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I am also loving that yellow dress, it's stunning, where did you find it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sulky and Tabs: Mom found it in her junk room....I remember my sister wore the dress for a drama production when she was in high school in the early 1990s. I think someone from town gave it to the drama department to use as a costume. It would have been perfect to wear!! Sigh.

      Delete
  5. That is a gorgeous dress, I'm loving how the fashions are totally morphing from the full skirts to those groovy embellished dresses

    ReplyDelete
  6. The yellow dress is lovely.

    I think your parties are such a lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that yellow dress. In reference to the size thing, I've been thinking about this a lot lately..If you look at picture of our moms from the 60s and 70s, almost no one is fat and almost everyone looks really thin compared to today. Also, no one was running marathons or working out. What gives? It has to be the food we are eating or the amount? It mystifies me really. I need to know.

    xo
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting comment Kim, I have been thinking the same thing lately. I think it is both the quality of food, portion sizes, plus genetics play a part. It baffles me as well.

      Delete
  8. Oh the 60s. What is the saying? If you remember them you weren't there? Well, I was 7 in 1963, so have vague recollection...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I kept watching this season thinking...nothing's happening!
    But I guess a lot did happen. I even blogged about it too today lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I will have to catch up on reading, off to read your post!

      Delete
  10. That yellow dress looks fabulous! Didn't women have any hips in the old days?
    Why are we dealing with those hips ... so unfair ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is the hardest thing about vintage fashion...people in general were smaller especially the women. I know for the most part they were shorter, thinner and less curvy. Smoking and girdles I am sure helped...plus less processed and fast foods. ; ) Your party sounds like a good time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, most people smoked back then and most women wore girdles. I love vintage fashion but most things would never fit me!

      Delete