Wednesday, June 6, 2012

More Dresses and Some Other Recently Acquired Vacation Buys

My latest order finally arrived from Tall Girl, I have been waiting so very patiently in the meantime and drooling over Kate's wardrobe choices worn over the Jubilee weekend (this outfit was my favorite -- love red!!)

First up, a burgundy dress.   I had a dress similar to this one a few years ago which I foolishly donated.  Second chance dress here!


I also bought a shirtdress, which does look better in person -- but because of the flimsy material and the fit being a little big, I think it is best to get it altered.  Otherwise I am swimming!  Tall Girl sizes are hard to get right sometimes.


Suburban Princess remarked earlier that it is hard to find navy blazers in Canada.  I completely agree.  However, I found this corduroy one at Tall Girl and it will do well as a blazer/jacket.  I paired it with my J Brand Maria Jeans and Ross Dress for Less top here:

                                       The blazer is navy blue, not black.  I promise.

I have recently embraced polka dots, first with my navy Lauren dress and now with this pin-up style swimsuit:


The swimsuits are quite classic in my new Hollywood Poolside book, which I bought at Paramount Studios in LA:



I had to buy a Hollywood top so I can California Dream whenever I want.  I bought it at that "Everything is Under $10!!!" store on Hollywood Boulevard, or whatever its called:


My Let's Go! LA outfit (like The Cars song...oh yes we blared that tune in LA too!):





Before turfing the package wrappers, I just have to tell something to Betty.

Hey, ATTENTION Betty Draper!!  (circa 1960):

                                            run Sally run

Anyway, I bought these two pieces at Nordstrom, the top is Bobeau and the skirt is Vince Camuto.  It was one of those outfits that just came together immediately:

                             my left ankle does not want to cooperate and stand at attention today

I wore it to the Gaslamp District one night, however we did not venture inside The Tipsy Crow.  We already have a 'Crow and Hen' Pub (my pet name for it) where we live.


I haven't come across a satisfactory tangerine or coral dress yet, but I have bought these two tops to get me started with that colour palette:


How is your week going?  I can't stop thinking about the last Sunday's Mad Men episode! 

30 comments:

  1. Ahhh...you are just so cute. Lovely new pieces but yes, the shirt dress does look large on you. You have such a nice shape--show it off!

    Funny tribute to Betty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bliss! The blue shirt dress is big on me....and it's actually a size small, if you can believe that!

      Delete
  2. I love everything you got, but Oh... I love the swim suit!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The burgundy dress is nice and spot on, burgundy is big for fall. I love your California dreaming outfit, you are totally working it!

    No Mad Men here in Germany so I missed the actual episode but I was able to find details online. A couple of episodes back I did predict a suicide, only I thought it was going to be Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks xoxo! I woke up at 4:30am on Monday morning thinking about the Mad Men episode. I have been lamenting to Hubs that my Sunday evenings will be so boring now.

      Delete
  4. Absolute adore that burgundy dress on you! So very elegant. And the navy spotted swimsuit is very glam. You'll be quite the picture in that - you'll be needing your hubs to dress up in something equally fetching though - is he happy about that prospect? I always reckon it is such a shame that most men's swimwear is well, quite boring. Designers, listen up!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOl too funny Virginia and thank you! Hubs's swim trunks are very boring but they are navy so at least we will match. :)

      Delete
  5. What a figure you have, I wish I went in and out like that. The burgundy dress is stunning and I love the cut on the blazer, the nipped waist is wonderful, or is that just your figure too? Darn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tabs - so nice of you to say. The blazer is nipped at the waist, which helps loads!

      Delete
  6. Great selection, except the shirt dress is miles too big on you.You've got a great figure, so make the most of it! I love you in the jacket and burgundy dress and that little swimsuit is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha now that I'm looking at the photo more and more, I am cringing that I wore the shirtdress to work yesterday! ahhhhh photos don't lie.

      I wore the outfit with the jacket today so hopefully that makes up for it!

      Delete
  7. Hello:
    What an exciting selection of new purchases, all very varied and each one so very attractive. You clearly have an excellent eye for what suits you.

    How we should love the book 'Hollywood Poolside' - such fun and so very vintage these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is quite interesting - scandalous stories and endless photos of people's glamorous pools and yards...how swimsuits have evolved over the years. Very fun read!

      Delete
  8. All very cute. Love dress #1 with the scalloped hem. Adorable. The swimsuit is sooo cute too! I will have to start watching Mad Men one of these days. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debby! I have officially embraced polka dots now after dismissing them for many years.

      Delete
  9. My favorite has got to be the lace burgundy dress. I adore the scalloped detail on the hem. So flattering on you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great purchases! I especially like the outfit from Nordstrom - you look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise - that was one of the quickest outfits I've ever pulled together!

      Delete
  11. My fave is the top photo of you - fabulous, loving those very chic nude shoes with the lace dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The shoes are Nine West and they are surprisingly comfy, I've had them for 3 or 4 years now.

      Delete
  12. Wow - they look designer expensive. Just saw some candy pink and orange slingbacks from Nine West today, yummy for summer

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the stripes and dots - very retro and very now. I think internet shopping is tough. I thought that being tall would be easier than being short, but apparently not...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Online shopping is tough! Most times I do ok, sometimes I need slight alterations, some pieces have been totally off with sizing.

      Delete
  14. What lovely clothes! That blazer looks like it was made for you and is the perfect fit - so hard to get right! I also love that burgundy lace - really, really pretty! Have fun wearing your new things! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mrs. E! I lucked out with the blazer, most times blazers are too boxy for me, but this one was a keeper!

      Delete
  15. I don't know how I missed this post! Love all your clothes. You look so cute in the stripe top and skirt. I love your bathing suit too! What a great book. I need to find that one..

    You look darling in everything from the cute scalloped dress to the T shirt and skinny pants.
    Very cute and I love your style!

    xo
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kim,
      Hubs bought the book for me at the Paramount Studios gift shop in LA, it is probably on amazon and other sites online too.

      Thank you for the nice compliment! I have to find an occasion to wear the red scalloped dress now.

      Delete