Sunday, June 17, 2012

A Great Concert

Do you ever find that you discover something fantastic after something else doesn't quite work out?

So last Wednesday, I had the car during the day and decided to go to Farmers Market downtown to buy some vegetables during my lunch break.  By the time I found a parking spot and made my way to the stalls, most everything was picked over.  But there was a jazz quintet playing on the main stage and they were good.  I spent most of my lunch hour listening to the music after discovering it was the first day of the Jazz Festival.  After work, I picked up some tickets for Hubs and myself to see the headliners, Jason Marsalis and Kevin Mahogany, in concert on the Friday evening.

These two did not disappoint.  Jason Marsalis is the younger brother of Wynton Marsalis, the great trumpeter, and Branford Marsalis, the great saxophonist who performed with Sting and Phil Collins at Live Aid in London.  Branford also composed the score to Fences, a play we saw in New York back in Spring 2010 starring Denzel Washington and Viola Davis.  The entire Marsalis family is incredibly talented.

Jason Marsalis is an accomplished percussionist and he has recently focused on playing the vibraphone.  His playing is incredible, and his timing is so precise.  He also served as the band leader during the evening, a role he performed to perfection. 

                                      Jason Marsalis playing the vibraphone



Kevin Mahogany is an excellent vocalist, and a master at scat singing....which is incredibly difficult to pull off successfully.  Jeff Pressing states that "For every first-rate scat-singer in the world, there must be 500 talented jazz saxophonists."  



Hubs and I were absolutely delighted at the calibre of talent at the jazz concert.  Marsalis and Mahogany performed selections by Lionel Hampton.  Their backing band was a full jazz band, and every musician was technically brilliant in their own right, particularly during their featured solos.  I was happy the audience was very appreciative, most were jazz enthusiasts who appreciated the talent.  If you ever get a chance to see these two men perform, go and see them.  You won't regret it.

                            Kevin Mahogany and Jason Marsalis chatting after the concert

I met these two after the concert, both men were genuinely appreciative of their audience and truly love what they do.  What's better than that?

12 comments:

  1. Hello:
    We do so agree. It is wonderful when, as in the case of your shopping trip leading to the Jazz concert, the unexpected results in normal, everyday life. It sounds to have been a most exciting and interesting experience.

    Last night we attended the opening concert given by a young Russian of the Budapest Chopin Piano Competition. His playing proved to be historic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I would have loved that Chopin concert! I love Chopin's works and spent most of Saturday evening playing through the Chopin songs I learned several years ago, I hadn't played them in awhile.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a fun time there, LR! it's not my kind of music, but even I thought the scat singing was great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great time! Unfortunately my video wouldn't upload so I had to use youtube videos, but it was quite amazing to see the performance live.

      Delete
  3. What a great surprise and to be able to get tickets for the talented Marsalis concert. They are such a talented family.
    It is wonderful to stumble upon such an event

    Thanks for posting the music

    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are very talented indeed! And the tickets were very reasonable too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, nice! What a wonderful opportunity.
    I saw Lionel Hampton long ago in NYC as a kid. I was walking down the street and heard the sounds of his music and peeked inside where he was rehearsing. I was asked in and got to stand there and watch for a while. What a treat that was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great story! It is moments like that you definitely remember.

      Delete
  6. Nothing beats live music! Even types I wouldn't likely enjoy otherwise are great when heard live. Being able to see the musicians and to experience their enthusiasm goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree, live performances are the best! I have discovered so many songs after hearing them performed live....even when I didn't initially like the studio recordings!

      Delete
  7. How incredibly cool to meet them. I am always lazy about going to live performances but love them when they are on. I am going to check as to whether they are going to play at Cal, my husband would be right into that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love live performances! They hit all the right notes that night.

      Delete