Thursday, May 10, 2012

Take My Breath Away....

How many times did I listen to that song in San Diego/Coronado?  Oh about 5 times, at least!

We stayed at the Loews Coronado Resort, on Coronado Island (even though it's not technically an island)...it is located just outside of Coronado past the Navy Seals training base.  (San Diego is about 20 minutes away).

The rooms are spacious, there is a Keurig coffee maker in the room and most rooms have great views.  At night, we could see the lights of San Diego and Tijuana from our balcony.  The hotel does provide free shuttles to and from Coronado so you can get to town.  Great place!


                                                By the pool area

                                 Views from our hotel balcony - the marina is beautiful


                                  Collage of plants, flowers, palm trees and foliage....LOVE

I loved walking down Orange Avenue in Coronado.  There are several shops, restaurants, houses and businesses along the way down to First Avenue, where you can view the San Diego skyline:




The Hotel Del Coronado is a sight to see.  When I was catching a cab back to Loews one day, there was a Rolls Royce parked out front of the Hotel Del Coronado.  Just another usual day there, I suspect!  (Unfortunately I did not get a photo in time!)


                               The beach at the back of the Hotel is beautiful.

                                I'd love to stay in one of these beach front cottages next time! 



                                             Herb Garden at the Del



                       
                                              

The beaches were amazing too. 




We drove on the San Diego-Coronado Bridge several times, it connects the two cities and the views are spectacular from both sides.  Here's what it looks like:

                                                                    via

San Diego has a laid-back vibe, so does Coronado.  The houses in Coronado are absolutely beautiful and everyone's front yards are full of gorgeous flowers, shrubs, foliage and plants.   One of our favorite things to do was drive up and down the streets and just gaze at the houses and the yards. 

We went to the Gaslamp District a few times during our stay, we dined at Searsucker (edited to note:  we discovered later that Top Chef Finalist Brian Malarkey is the head chef there) and Kansas City BBQ (another Top Gun location....Hubs was delighted about that!)   In Coronado, we ate at Peohe's, Brigantine Seafood and Costa Azul.  Great restaurants, there were so many to choose from!  I enjoyed the shopping in San Diego and the inside/outside malls.  Unfortunately, I did not make it to Fashion Valley Mall...a cab drive there and back from Loews would have been well over $100.00 US.............so I made do with shopping at Horton Plaza in San Diego, Ross Dress for Less downtown (my new favorite - found some great clothes there), the Las Americas Outlets near the Mexico Border (which was as close to Mexico as we got) and Neiman Marcus in Beverly Hills. 

We also toured the Mission in San Diego and the USS Midway on our last day.  Both highly recommended!

Definitely coming back to San Diego and Coronado!

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos!
    I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope you get to go back often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello:
    We have so enjoyed this virtual visit! Your photographs are absolutely stunning as, we are sure, are the sights which you captured. The beach front cottages of the Hotel del Coronado look wonderful and one can well imagine going to sleep at night lulled by the sound of the waves. What bliss!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane and Lance! The gardens around the beach cottages and the back of the Hotel Del are amazing too. Such a wonderful place!

      Delete
  3. The new header image is so beautiful! I could jump right in. I love your comment about driving up and down to see the gardens & houses. Always, always, I find the most interesting part of a holiday are the non-touristy bits like that. Beautiful photographs of what is obviously a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would love Coronado, Virginia (and Beverly Hills too) - the neighbourhoods are so lovely!

      Delete
  4. Love the photos! That bridge looks spectacular-it seems like a beautiful place. I've never been to California either, but I definitely think it would be worth the trip.I'll have that tune in my head all day now...( as if I don't already anyway!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your new blog design. So glad you liked California. San Diego is one of my favorite areas too. We stayed at that Loews and it's so pretty there! Love Coronado Island!! All of your foliage shots and the beach make me want to go back.

    You look very California in your striped shirt, skinny jeans and like the red bag!!

    xo
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! We loved the Loews, I spent quite a bit of time at the pool and the marina is beautiful.

      Glad you liked my outfit! :)

      Delete
  6. I see beautiful birds of paradise and palm trees ...happiness is.
    That's so funny about you wanting to take a pic of the Rolls, I was hysterical trying to get pics of vintagey American cars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cars in CA are amazing - we were overtaken by a Maserati on the freeway heading out of San Diego and we just stared in awe as it drove by.

      Delete
  7. Looks so sunny and warm, looks like you chose a good time to visit. Your pictures are really interesting to me as I have never been to San Diego.
    I like that nautical look you have with your navy stripes and red bag, one might think that you were about to board your boat in the marina and sail away.
    I hope you'll share your new purchases soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. San Diego is wonderful - it has a laid back vibe. Actually that navy striped top was bought at Nordstrom in San Diego...couldn't resist! And the outfit I am wearing at the beach was also bought while on vaca.

      Delete
  8. Stunning photos. I'm deeply envious at the moment. I haven't been back to San Diego since I was 11. The hotel is out of this world. So is the scenery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beautiful! San Diego just has that great vibe about it.

      Delete
  9. Looks like you're having a great time! I've not been as far south as San Diego - your photos are scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete