Sunday, May 27, 2012

My Favorite Dresses

I love a good dress.  I'm one of those women who would rather wear a dress than a two-piece outfit.  Dresses seem to fit my body and style best.  Simple and easy!

Especially my dresses from Lauren by Ralph Lauren.  I have three dresses from that label and plan on buying another few.  They fit me so well.

This Lauren floral sheath dress was basically my 2011 occasion dress.   I was able to wear it to about 6 or 7 occasions and to work once, without anyone seeing me wear it more than once!  (aside from Hubs.)  The dress travels well too, no creases or ironing to worry about here! 

                                                           Christmas 2011

                                                     NYC, November 2011

                                          Hubs' Masters Graduation, June 2011

I bought this Lauren polka dotted navy dress at the Las Americas Outlets earlier this month.  I've already worn the dress to a conference banquet, and our friend T's cop graduation last weekend:


I loved this dress after I first saw it online.  The stripes and colours are so vivid!  DaniBP tried the dress too and gave it a great review.  I tried the dress on at Macy's while in San Diego, and decided to buy the dress from The Bay online after I got home from vacation.  I really like this dress and the accompanying belt is a bit of a departure for me as I never wear belts.  The flare skirt is also a departure from my usual sheath style preference. 


I bought this dress from Conway in NYC in 2006.  It was $12.00.  I named it my 'Carrie Bradshaw' dress because of its whimsical flouncy nature and it has served me very well.


Having a bloat day?  Grab this dress and wear it with a jacket or cardi over it.  As you can see, it was originally a strapless dress but I recently added straps to make it a halter style instead.

                                  (pardon the cruddy photo quality...I need a new camera!)

I bought the red heels (seen in the above pic) from Nine West back in 2010 and never wore them until a few weeks ago this year in California.  I wore them 3 nights in a row!  I have some strange habits, clearly.

Sleeveless Black Sheath

This sleeveless black dress with the ruffled bottom has also served me well, I bought it during summer 2009 from Cleo.   I've worn it at least once every other week since then and it still looks like I just bought it.

 
When I wear it with a cardigan, people think it's a skirt.  I've worn this to work, to a wedding (seen above), on vacation, to a funeral, to church, our first Mad Men party....this dress is costing me dimes to wear now.

DVF wrap dress

I got this dress from Ebay in 2008 and wore it a lot.  Just not on windy days, though.


I still love this dress;  however I did recently have my seamstress modify the front and remove the buttons, it now has snap closures.  I do have to wear a cami underneath, and lately I've been wearing a black sleeveless sweater vest over the dress to give it a different look....a bit 70s-like.   

Other Black Sheath

I bought this T Tahari dress in Spring 2010, it has also been a good dress for winter and those I don't have anything to wear days.  It is lined, and I tend to accessorize it with scarves, shawls, jewelry.


Clearly I love my black dresses, I am starting to embrace navy blue.....however I have two colourful dresses on the way from Tall Girl, so I will post my reviews on those shortly. 

Dresses.  Yay or nay?

16 comments:

  1. All so pretty, I'd love to wear more dresses, I just find it hard as my bust and waist are a lot bigger than my hips. The green stripey one is fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tabitha! The striped dress is my new fav!

      Delete
  2. I used to be a dress gal, then I switched to skirts, now I find myself looking at dress again. But I only have three and I am very, very picky about them. I would love to own a DVF wrap dress one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am picky about dresses too, there's nothing worse than a bad fit!

      Delete
  3. Dresses are my staple LR. Love every single style you're modelling here especially the green stripe.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie! Just have to buy a pair of shoes to go with the dress now.

      Delete
  4. You look very "Carrie Bradshaw" in that dress with the red strappy heels. I like it better as a halter but I may be transferring my own fear of a strapless mishap onto you. LOL

    I love dresses and wear them often. I was always the shorts or miniskirt and t-shirt gal but the last couple years of college I fell in love with the ease and wearability of dresses. Love your collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had the halter straps put on on the CB dress to avoid any 'mishaps'; I can't stand having to constantly pull up strapless dresses! So annoying.

      Delete
  5. I want your wardrobe! You have some really cute things. I do love Lauren dresses too and my last dress I bought was one. That black sheath that is sleeveless is a keeper too. I have a very similar one, but it has a scalloped hem. I still wear it and I swear it's 18 years old at least. I love your red shoes! You are making me want a pair and also the green stripe dress!

    Great post.
    xo
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! I'll probably have my black sleeveless sheath for years and years!

      Delete
  6. I don't really wear dresses because my bust is bigger than my hips and the alterations needed sometimes ruin the overall shape of the dress. But I love your choices! You've managed to pick cute little numbers that are pretty and quite versatile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sulky! I have the bust issue too, which is why I tend to stick with tried-and-true styles.

      Delete
  7. I don't love my legs, so I still prefer slacks to dresses, though I have been wearing some knee length skirts and summery tops lately with the amazing warm weather here. One has to enjoy it when it comes as it doesn't stay for long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly - I'm wearing a skirt & top today too, it is finally NOT raining today!

      Delete
  8. Love the dresses and you look great in them too.
    I like these posts a lot.
    Hope your weekend is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete