Monday, May 21, 2012

Attitude Adjustment

Aren't long weekends great?  A chance to take a morning or two to sleep in, lounge around the house, catch up on some things...or not.  Try some new dishes for supper. 

Hubs and I have decided that we should lose a couple of pounds, we came home from our trip feeling a tad bloated from all the restaurant eating.  Do we regret it?  Hell no.  Are we going to do something about it?  Hell yes.  Cut out some of those nasty pound gaining culprits and start walking.

So, I made Lemon Chicken (I used chicken breast with the bone in, added more garlic, started the chicken in the oven at 425 F, then reduced it to 350F halfway through) with Caprese Salad (basically it is cut up tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and fresh basil leaves, arrange it on a plate, sprinkle salt, pepper and olive oil on top - and dried oregano, if you have it), and Roasted Brussel Sprouts (made it in the oven at the same time as the chicken - the last 1/2 hour, that is - sprinkle sprouts with salt and pepper and olive oil).  Unfortunately I forgot to snap a photo of the chicken and brussel sprouts but here's the Caprese Salad..........so yummy, isn't fresh mozzarella fabulous?   My apologies for the rambling paragraph.



The night before, we made our own version of fish tacos, which turned out quite well.  I am all about fish tacos now.

On Friday night, we went to a police college graduation, our good friend T is now a city cop!   Now every time I will see a cop car, I'll think........it that T?????  Better slow down!

Last week was a trying week at work....you see, I work with a bunch of raging workaholics who can't possibly fathom taking a holiday or weekends off completely....in fact, I'll bet you half of the office have their butts firmly planted in their office chairs right now, toiling away on a long weekend.  That's right, these people do not have fulfilling personal lives and only find lasting satisfaction at the office....while checking out of their personal lives at home.  I definitely felt the 'contempt' from various co-workers after I returned to work from holidays (the "how dare you take holidays when it is so busy here" contempt....which resulted in two particularly ridiculous work days last week (Hubs deserves a gold medal after dealing with my breakdowns, that's for sure.....)   I am defensive by nature but I try not to let my feelings rattle me at work.

Thank goodness I have a safe place to  come home to at the end of a work day!

                                  Hubs and I at Lavender Bistro


........and now I say whatever.  I work to live, I try to do my best at what I do and I try to get as much done in a work day as I can..............but work isn't my life and I'm not going to let it dominate me and pave the way to burnout and other nasty stuff.  No thanks.  

.......and I say bottoms up with my new Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee shot glass, which Hubs bought to cheer me up one night!  


 
I was confronted with a lesson, which has been a recurring theme in my life....I can let the naysayers affect my life.... or I can smile sweetly, be a glamourous duck and let the contempt roll off my back (and give myself a little attitude adjustment while I am at it...never to stoop down to other's misery). 

And I can't be miserable - my superfab Sis is due any day so I'll be an auntie again!

Here's some photos from the Mission in San Diego:







27 comments:

  1. Love your new header and love the photos of San Diego-they look so like Spain ;-)
    As for your workaholic colleagues, don't even go there. When you are 80 and sitting in your rocking chair reminiscing, it will be your wonderful holidays with Hubs and all the fab family memories that come flooding back, not which deadlines you met and which you missed (and I guarantee you won't be thinking about your boss ;-)
    Have a lovely week Sweets xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa - and you are so right - is the work grind going to matter when I'm 80? Nope. Have a great week too!

      Delete
  2. We are always stunned by how few holidays Americans take, even those at the top of their tree only take two weeks holiday a year it's 6 weeks or nothing for us in Europe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6 weeks....oh I would be in heaven! I am always the person at work who uses up their full holidays every year and most times by September. Our province gets 3 weeks of paid holidays a year (up to 10 years of service, then it's 4 weeks). I'm almost at 8 years at my workplace...

      Delete
  3. Hello:
    You are absolutely right to cherish your holiday times and to guard them with your life. Work is simply that and does not, in our view, compensate for a fulfilling personal life with friends and family.

    However, it is extremely difficult to keep a satisfactory work/life balance when one is surrounded by work colleagues who do anything but leave the office. You are indeed fortunate to have an understanding husband who can put the perspective back into things when they become unbalanced. And, of course, none of this will matter at all a century from now!

    The Mission in San Diego looks to be an absolutely charming place. So peaceful and calm. Just the thing to relieve the stress of work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You two are so wise! And it's true. Things have become so unbalanced lately as my workplace (and the economy as a whole) is doing really well where I live, but unfortunately it has come at the expense of not having enough staff at work to do the job so many of us are getting burnt out. It took me going on holidays and actually removing myself from work to realize how bad things had become. I can't go back to how it was!

      Delete
  4. I can totally relate to this, I am surrounded by workaholics and feel constantly guilty for taking time off or leaving at 6 (gasp!)! But I recently read an article about a care nurse who worked with elderly people in their last months of life and their no. 1 regret was that they didn't spend enough time with their family or enjoying themselves. This really stuck with me and every time I feel guilty, I think about this. The Mission looks like such a beautiful, peaceful place...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that all the time - oh you're leaving? You're not going to stay late? Work weekends?

      Nope.

      Glad you can relate, burnout and work-related stress are becoming serious problems these days and it's just not worth it to let things get to that point.

      Delete
  5. I'm always speechless when my American friends tell me the ridiculous maternity leave they get after years of slaving away at the company. My father who has been a workaholic all his life until he retired often reminded us not to let work take over our life. That was one of his biggest regrets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is true. My Dad took an early retirement as he was so burnt out from his job and all the crap that came with it. At first it was a huge adjustment for him to let things go, but then he pretty much became a new person with a whole new attitude towards life; he enjoys puttering around and working on family tree research, doing garden work, he's starting to take better care of himself as he has diabetes but at least the main stressors are gone. My Mom retired not long thereafter and the two of them are spending way more time together now.

      Delete
  6. Like you we savour the memories of our holidays...
    loving that new header of yours.

    It would be nice if we worked 4 days a week instead of 5 and every weekend was a long one!
    Cheers to the Queen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! (Queen Elizabeth voice) Charles and Camilla are actually coming here on Tues/Wed, I kinda want to go and see them...

      I like your work plan! :)

      Thanks Hostess!

      Delete
  7. Fish tacos and caprese salad! I could live on those all summer. And don't get me started on the "living to work" mentality that PLAGUES so many people and how backwards America is in this way of thinking. I only survive living in America by pretending to be European--short of speaking with a fake accent (French, of course, even though the family tree rooted in Scotland/England).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bliss - you and I are cut from the same cloth! :)

      The 'living to work' mentality is a growing problem in Canada too. I was just chatting with my cousin this morning about it and she mentioned her boss wants her to check phone messages every day while she is on a 2 week vacation during the summer, while her boss does nada about it. No freaking way!

      Delete
  8. I'm so sorry you had to deal with that junk after your lovely time away. It isn't fair. But they will burn out sooner than later sad to say.
    You will have these treasured moments long after they have forgotten what they were at work for on those days.
    Diamond Jubilee glass.. very sweet gift and dinner looks great.
    Here's to a better week at work!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie, you are so sweet.

      I agree, isn't the Diamond Jubilee glass awesome?

      Delete
  9. Just shows how much they actually need to have a holiday to get a better perspective on life again. How ironic. Absolutely nothing is a substitute for a holiday - especially to a place where one hasn't been before, or at least for a while. You're the smart one. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Virginia! I completely agree. (And p.s. -- the only holidays these people take are with strings attached!) Blech!!

      Delete
  10. LR - We brought back a couple of extra pounds with us from AU; just returning to our normal healthy sensible diet and exercise habits made them fall off. Fish tacos sounds like an interesting thing to try. I love the caprese salad - I live on them when we are abroad. Sadly, they don't taste quite the same in a colder climate. I've yet to manage home-grown tomatoes here...

    As to work, I can appreciate that the economy has everyone quite tense, but if your employer gives you holiday time and your boss granted your leave request you were entitled to take that vacation. End of story. I've often thought that people who work unpaid overtime and are not self-employed are being rather foolish. Employers are known for excessive gratitude. I can't speak to your specific work place, but I'm pretty sure you're view of efficiency at work so you can go home is the right one.

    I recently came across this talk by a man who had only months to live. It is long, so I watched it in bits. I'd heard most of his ideas, but I did learn a few new tips and his whole attitude is quite uplifting.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTugjssqOT0&feature=youtu.be


    Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelley! Part of the problem is crappy office management. Seriously, our office needs someone like Joan Holloway from Mad Men to whip things into shape! Putting band-aids on issues which the bosses have repeatedly been warned about doesn't make things all better. Bad habits just never get broken. I was one of those people warning the bosses about problems and issues...they probably think we're just shooting off our mouths...very frustrating! Thanks for the advice Shelley, I will check out that video.

      Delete
  11. "I work to live, I try to do my best at what I do and I try to get as much done in a work day as I can..............but work isn't my life and I'm not going to let it dominate me and pave the way to burnout and other nasty stuff."

    I love it! I wish I could convince my husband to feel the same way. He is one of those workaholics, I am a work to live gal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL thanks! Hopefully you guys can create a good work/life balance.

      Delete
  12. Love your attitude, don't let those workaholics drag you down.
    Holidays are essential, holidays are for real people!

    Love your food descriptions ... enjoy ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Holidays are for real people' -- haha I love it!! Thanks for the encouragement Lisa!

      Delete
  13. Love the caprese salad. It's my favorite thing to eat in summer. You made it look so good. The mission in San Diego is so pretty. We never have been there and I would like to see it.

    Don't let those workaholics drag you down with them. They are jealous you have a life. You've got it right girl. Work to live!!!

    xo

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would love the Mission Kim and it's actually not that hard to get to.

      Thanks for your lovely comment! :)

      Delete
  14. Love the simplicity of lemon chicken and it's soooo good! xo

    ReplyDelete