Tuesday, March 27, 2012

What Finds!

Wasn't the Mad Men premiere awesome?  I still have that Zou Bisou Bisou song in my head....

Well, I kinda fell off the spending freeze bandwagon whilst planning our Mad Men party....not too badly though. 

I needed an outfit to wear.  Unfortunately, I waited too late to ask Mom to send her wedding dress for me to wear (it's a 1970 white column dress that could pass for 1960s-garb)....I had visions of dressing up ala Lee Radziwill circa 1966/1967, and finding some snazzy silver jewelry or sequins to tie the look together:

                                                                source

With that plan thwarted, I briefly entertained the idea of wearing my orange bridesmaid dress with some kind of wrap or scarf over it, since I am suddenly obsessed with orangey-red tones.  Saturated Sherbet with gloves? 


I still thought I could do better, so I went to Sears Bargain Centre outlet one day and found a Betty-esque number in navy blue.  I decided to mull it over for a few days and decide.  On payday, I marched right back into Sears and bought the dress for $19.99.  (Photo in next post!)

Oh but WAIT!  I also made my yearly pilgrimage to the Antique Mall, where I scored some old magazines from the 1960s.  Feast your eyes on these!   



                                              Hubs was thrilled about this find


I chatted up the owner about our Mad Men Party and finding Jackie's NYC apartment back in November, and she said that she saw Dealey Plaza in Dallas, TX a few years ago.  We exchanged some more pleasantries and I got the magazine prices reduced a bit.

We still have our old Life issues from our Season 3 Mad Men Party (1963 issues). 




Let's not forget the old school candy and the Just Like Dad! and Machismo candy cigarettes:

                                 I ate all of the Jelly Tots, great candy.

Time to haul out our ashtray, which has always been strictly for show at our Mad Men parties.



Details from our party coming up next!

21 comments:

  1. This is all so fab! Can't wait to see your next post. It's on on SKY here which we don't have - sniff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tabs, I think you can probably find free eps online or on Netflix?

      Delete
  2. Hello:
    We were there the first time round....the 1960s we mean!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the strapless dress on you! Can't wait to see what you ended up wearing.
    Don't you love all the vintage magazines? So fun. I'm really digging Lee Radziwell's hair and dress!

    Kim:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This all sounds like so much fun - looking forward to seeing what you wore! I love old magazines, so I'd be in heaven sitting with that pile. We would have been rolling on the floor fighting over those Jelly Tots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love leafing through old magazines (and photo albums!) ...the fashions are fab and some of those old ads are hilarious. The food photos look so unappetizing! LOL

      I got the candies at a candy store in town that specializes in old school candies - you know, the kinds you used to eat growing up. I was so excited to find that place! :)

      Delete
  5. Oh get out!!!!! A glam frock for $19.99 Well done.
    The magazine haul is fabulous, I like flicking through oldies too. Actually I love everything about the sixties, not least because I'm a child of the sixties but it truly was a fascinating period.
    Can't wait to see the bargain frock LR.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha thanks Annie! The dress was a find.

      I love (most) everything 60s too. Such fascinating history!

      Delete
  6. What fun! Love all the vintage magazines you scored - that'll keep you busy for ages pouring over those and getting inspired. VB x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh definitely, I want to go back to the Antique Mall and spend more time going through the bins for more mags. I only had my lunch hour for scouting so I had to get in and out and pick fast!

      Delete
  7. That was by far one of the funniest episodes of MM I recall watching. OMG Roger's secretary! She slays me! And wasn't Don's apartment amazing?! OK, I'll stop exclaiming now. Can't wait to see the rest of your party deets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVED IT! I got miffed reading some of the online reviews when people said it was soooooooo boring. Yah, whatevs. I'm already looking forward to the audio commentaries on the DVDs. I laughed so many times during the episode!

      Don's apartment is amazing. And Megan's wardrobe (hair and makeup!!) IMO, she stole the show from Joan. ok I have to stop exclaiming now too. LOL

      Delete
  8. Waiting for the frock reveal in next post!
    The orange dress looks great on you and you really got a great bunch of magazines there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I did consider the orange dress but I was worried about spilling all over it (of course I didn't think to buy an apron ... that's a future purchase)

      Delete
  9. Such a great post, I really like it, these pics are so nice!
    Take a look and if you want we can follow each others: Cosa mi metto???
    Three lucky person will win a pair of sunnies of therir choice, enter the contest!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like it's shaping up to be a great party! Can't wait to see the rest of the pics! I havn't seen the ep yet, it's sitting there waiting for me. Maybe today I will get to watch it while working :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you lucky girl...you can fast forward through the commercials! lol That was the one thing that irked me...too many commercials at the most inappropriate times.

      Delete
  11. Oh my goodness...I am so behind with my reading--this week has been nuts! Your prep finds are fabulous. I so want to go to this party! ; )

    ReplyDelete