Monday, March 12, 2012

No Fail Restaurant Food

You know what it's like.  You're excited to try out a new restaurant (or you have to be convinced to go somewhere subpar with family or friends), glance at the menu, then your face drops when either of the following occur:

a) most choices involve ingredient names you've never heard of (or you have heard of) and they sound weird
b) most dishes consist of weird food combinations (usually in conjunction with point A)
c) everything appears to be deep fried or not cooked at all, and/or
d) the prices for a meal and a drink cost more than a Laura Mercier tinted mosturizer.

What to do?  Well, if there's no other choice, I will choose a bland sounding chicken dish or a trusty soup and salad combo, if I can swing it (that is, a broth type soup and a salad with a vinegrette dressing).  If that fails, there's always a plate of fries.

What's your no fail restaurant choices when the menu sucks?

I'm all ears.

Happy Monday!

16 comments:

  1. Hello:
    Eating out in good company is one of Life's most delicious pleasures in our book and so on the occasion that, after great anticipation, a restaurant does not pass muster one's heart does drop.

    In Hungary, a salad is rarely a fail safe option and 'bland' is unheard of. Knock your socks off fired up with paprika is more the order of the day. However, a soup [leves]is usually a calm harbour when encountering a stormy sea of restaurant offerings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually go for the soup and a glass or 2 of wine! If I don't see anything I like though - I just leave.This is why I always try and look in advance at a current menu online, so that I'm not disappointed when I get there! I'm a cautious Kitty, aren't I? That's me - living on the edge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to look at the online menus too - we both live on the edge!

      Delete
  3. Soup , salad and bread are the no fail choice and the next choice is not to eat there again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like we are all in agreement on the soup option! And I would add salad to that as well - although that obviously doesn't apply in Hungary going by the Hattatt's comment. Pretty safe in Australia though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually stick with chicken, or ask the waiter/waitress some questions.
    or, and this is my fav method, just order drinks and dessert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And fill up on the bread - which really isn't good for me (bloat issues) but when there's nothing else good, well...

      Delete
  6. I would go with soup or salad. It's hard to mess either up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Salad. Especially now that I am "trying" to eat mostly vegetarian...many restaurants make this very challenging. In general though I am a pretty adventurous eater and love trying new things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like trying new things at restaurants too. My friend is a vegetarian and we always laugh when she orders "chicken stir-fry without the chicken" and "a BLT without the B!"

      Delete
  8. I have to agree with the rest. I just had a nearly same experience and went with soup and salad. I hate when you are looking forward to eating out and it's just okay!

    Kim:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - it's happened only a few times but what a waste!

      Delete