Thursday, March 29, 2012

From Baroque...to Zou Bisou Bisou...to Cats

That was my week for music summed up in a nutshell.

Last Friday night, Hubs and I went to Per Traverso, A Concert of Baroque Flute Music.


Per Sonatori ("For Players") is an ensemble of period-instrument players providing baroque music performances to audiences.  The instruments are either authentic or reproductions.  In addition to using period instruments, the ensemble uses historically informed performance practice techniques from the baroque era (the study of the way music was originally performed) -- this includes tuning instruments, articulation and phrasing.

                                                                  Source

The concert was fantastic.  I gained a new appreciation for flute players after watching them perform.  All three soloists had their own style: superb technique, excellent timing and some humorous bits were incorporated into the performance by trying to outdo each other with trills and claiming one's style better than the others.  The cellist and harpsichordist were wonderful as well.  I recognized the harpsichordist, as she is also the organist from our Cathedral in town who gets to play on the grand pipe organ, she is very talented.  One of the flutists, Tara Semple, is the wife of guitarist Jack Semple, who is quite well-known in our city.  He does quite a bit of session work and recording.

We were treated to works by Handel, Boismortier, Veracini, Hotteterre, Marais and Quantz.  It was delightful.

Then there was the jump to the 1960s with Zou Bisou Bisou from the Mad Men premiere episode... which has been playing over and over in my head since Sunday night.  Everyone's facial expressions in this clip are hysterical:



Then we saw Cats on Wednesday night:


It was very well done; some scenes were really quite strange, others more straightforward and effective.  Grizabella, who sang Memory, was fantastic (and well-cast); and I was quite impressed with the voice and verse techniques of the leads and the ensemble, particularly The Naming of Cats:



Boy, what next?? 

8 comments:

  1. The concert sounds wonderful...glad you had such a nice time. As for CATS...I am not a fan. I know it is a beloved favorite of many but I just couldn't wrap my mind around the concept of it. Usually I am the odd woman out on this opinion. Oh well--as the Sulky Kitten would say, "MEOW!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I admit, there were times during the show when Hubs and I gave each other "what the...."??? looks! And then the next scene would be great! I read up on the show the next day, the story made a bit more sense.

      Delete
  2. Your social whirl makes me think I live in a vacuum! ( I really do live in a tiny culture-free zone). My Mr SK would have loved that concert. I've never seen Cats - don't know if I could handle that many relatives at once! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never fail to crack me up SK! LOL

      Our social lives are normally not this exciting, it just so happened that we had these events all in a week. Normally we are homebodies!

      Delete
  3. So glad you enjoyed your concert! Sounds like a lovely evening out. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. That scene with Megan, don't think I've stopped giggling looking at the other characters' reactions... apparently in the MM blog community, that's scene shock-value is right up there with the lawnmower incident, you remember that one? This scene's a lot less gory ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, that episode is one of my favorites! Both will live in infamy! :)

      Delete