Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Another Successful Mad Men Party!

Okay so here's the navy Betty dress I was talking about in my last post.  This was the great $19.99 find.  Mom was so proud when I told her, she loves a good deal.

                                  I tried to get big Lee Radziwill hair.....I tried

                                  Hauled out my wedding gloves, now worn only twice

                                                       Me and Hubs

I set the table all nice for our guests.


Our silver leaf serving trays came in handy for dinner.


I made the chicken and artichoke dish found here, together with rice and steamed asparagus.  Our friend K brought our favorite pear and greens salad with balsamic vinaigrette. 

Best dinner party tip?  Try to pick recipes that you can prep and make beforehand, and will still taste good reheated later.   This takes the stress off loads.  There's nothing worse than having to babysit food in the oven or on the stovetop while guests are getting anxious (and you are probably feeling anxious too)....especially if you have friends who like to be in the kitchen with you while you are prepping the food (my big stressor).

I still had to steam the asparagus but that didn't take long at all, Hubs made sure to entertain our friends in the living room and got them visiting.  I made the chicken & artichoke dish a few hours before the party, then simply warmed it up in the oven around 250 - 300 degrees F for 1/2 hour or so while we had appetizers (salmon spread on crackers and those mini-toasts) and visited.  The chicken absorbed some of the juices and was quite moist.  I was happy  - it tasted even better than the first time I made it.  :) 


For dessert?  The old school candies and Key Lime Pie.

Hubs's 1960s playlist was a big hit, he picked out "dinner party" music from The Party movie, Breakfast at Tiffany's, The 4 Tops, etc.   We'll have to play Zou Bisou Bisou at our next party...

Unfortunately, our friend TN couldn't make it to the party as he had a out of town work conference the next day.  Our friends T & K brought along their son L to the party for awhile, we pretended he was one of the Bobby Drapers.  T dropped him off at his grandparents place after supper, then we enjoyed our Key Lime Pie and coffee before watching the premiere episode.


Aside from the annoying and inappropriately-timed commercials (which grew zanier and zanier as the night went on), we all enjoyed the premiere and I don't think I've ever laughed so much during a Mad Men episode as I did during this one.  I can't wait to hear the audio commentaries for Season 5, especially for the premiere episode!  I even missed ice queen Betty.

I loved Megan's attire, makeup and hair this episode:

                                                    Credit:  AMC

                                                         Credit:  AMC

 
Credit:  AMC

Lastly, check out this link - Pairing Up the Heroes of Downton Abbey with their Mad Men Soul Mates on Slate.com (my two favorite shows!)

http://www.slate.com/slideshows/arts/pairing-up-the-heroes-of-downton-abbey-with-their-mad-men-soul-mates.html

34 comments:

  1. the menu sounds delish! And the outfit is fab - it suits the MM theme, but honestly, you could wear that anywhere and it would also look fabulous. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Virginia! I think I will have my tailor take some length off the dress so it is more around knee-length, but I am definitely going to wear the dress again....I will find an occasion for it!

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous party, sounds like so much fun! Beautiful outfit too! I love the 1960s magazines (in the previous post) - there's so much fashion inspiration to be had from those old photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I love those mags, you can definitely see what an influence Jackie was in the early 1960s with the suits and now it's getting into the mod style...love it.

      Delete
  3. You look gorgeous, and I love the addition of the gloves. What a fun party and a fun idea. I don't have cable so I will be waiting for this Mad Men season to come out on DVD. Oh well, there's always Downton Abbey to start watching! XO, Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love both shows and I'm thrilled they have both aired this year. I will be buying the DVD regardless. Thanks for stopping by Jill!

      Delete
  4. You really look very 50's and early 60's and you look so lovely.
    I think the whole Mad Men party idea is fabulous. Dinner looks delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie! Hubs raved on and on about how fun the party was, it definitely was up there as one of the best!

      Delete
  5. You both look great and I love your dress.

    Oh I managed to blag the first two episodes, but nop, I'm over Mad Men, alas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tabs!

      hehe Don isn't quite the same now, is he?

      Delete
    2. p.s. Hubs and I inadvertently did a 'Pete & Trudy' -- coordinated the colours of our outfits Janie Bryant style.

      Delete
  6. Can't believe you managed to nab that dress for $19.99! It looks lovely on you - and I like your dinner party menu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SK - I couldn't believe it either, I was really my Mother's daughter while shopping for that dress....it's.all.about.the.deal.

      Delete
  7. It looks like your party was a lot of fun, and I love the dress on you...what a fantastic bargain at $19.99, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi FFM! We had a blast and we're lucky our friends watch the show too, our parties have become a tradition now. I already have ideas for the finale!

      Delete
  8. I don't know which I love more...the dress you wore OR that dining room table set. You have fabulous tastes and style, my dear. Are the table and chairs antique? The dress looks very lovely on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bliss! Glad you liked my style picks! :) Actually we found the table and chairs at The Brick (a furniture store in Canada - not sure if you have them in the US?) We bought the set after we moved to our house 3 years ago. We are quite pleased with it.

      Delete
  9. Stunning dress LR and can't believe you scored it for that price. Well done you.
    Love your attention to detail, looks as though you had a fun night. I really think I need to watch the series from the start because I've missed many episodes and wouldn't have a clue what's happening in the world of Mad Men. I've totally lost the plot.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved your party dress! Perfect. I think you did the Lee hair pretty well! Love seeing all the food and your tables. The chicken sounds delicious too.

    Have a fun weekend!
    Kim:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! I had to use a ton of hairspray as I have fine hair (and quite a bit of it) -- so curls don't last too long on me unless I hairspray the heck out of my hair!

      Have a great weekend too!

      Delete
  11. Oh my your dress is so fab - i love the idea of this - i am not much of a dinner party girl - just not that confident with the food - so thanks for the tips xx

    http://fashionandfrank.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks F & F - I am slowly getting more comfortable with hosting dinners and dinner parties....I like to keep things fairly simple so I don't get too stressed out, it's not a good look on me....lol

      Delete
  12. Your party looks and sounds great! Your dress is perfect! I am finally getting to see the ep...I've got that song stuck in my head now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe what a way to start the Season, hey? Everyone was talking about that party scene! Glad you liked the dress.

      Delete
  13. Thanks for sharing a pic of the dress LR. Talk about a bargain!
    You do look splendid.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mad Man party and all dressed up ... you people are simply fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OK, thanks to your enthusiasm I have been trying to watch Mad Men through Netflix. The trying means sometimes it is difficult due to crap streaming. Anyway! I am finding I have to watch it in small doses because so many people are infuriating. I want to smack Don Draper and his heart attack prone boss. I want to smack Betty (although she earned a little respect in my book when she took a BB gun out in her back yard to shoot the pigeons--I nearly laughed myself off the sofa). Pete is a weasel. If it weren't for the glorious clothes and time period I don't think I could watch it all. Please tell me it gets better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - it DOES get better Bliss! ha ha I found Season 1 laid out the groundwork, establishes the characters and their backstories....some things happened in Season 1 that make "sense" later on...and some things are never addressed again!

      I only started watching Mad Men halfway through Season 2 so I had to go back and watch Season 1. I rented the DVD and found that the audio commentaries were really helpful with understanding the stories (and funny too!) I've watched the eps multiple times.

      Delete
  16. Oh wow. This is absolutely incredible. Okay, note to self, do dress up before guests come over. I'm salivating just from the mere mention of the dishes you'd made. I couldn't agree more. I often have friends over for a meal. In the early years, I used to make complicated dishes which required me slaving over the kitchen stove. A stressed out cook = horrible food. These days, I just stick to easy dishes and ones I can prepare beforehand.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Me too, it is just not worth it getting stressed out because people pick up on that and it gets everyone on edge. I find people aren't fussy about simple meals, they are just glad they don't have to host and cook! I got more practice with dinners this weekend because my in-laws were here.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your dining room chairs. Great dinner party advice. Your blue dress is gorgeous. Big hair required giant curlers and loads of back combing ('ratting') and gallons of hairspray (think lacquer). Keep practicing...you'll get there eventually - if you hair doesn't all break off first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hopefully I can get the hair bigger for the next party...lol

      Delete