Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Songs and Listening

Happy February!

What's on your Ipod playlist these days?  Here's a random sampler from mine:

1.  SOS.  It is my favorite Abba song (and John Lennon's, apparently).  And I mean the Abba version, not the Pierce Brosnan cringe-fest version on Mamma Mia

2.  Stand Back by Stevie Nicks.  This song turned 29 years old on January 29th, Stevie wrote it on the day of her only marriage.  Inspired by Little Red Corvette and Prince himself came up with the (uncredited) synthesizer parts for Stand Back.

3.  I Would Die 4 U.  Speaking of Prince, I'm loving this goodie.  The karaoke version is great, too. 

4.  Cosmic Love, Florence + The Machine.  Love love love.

5.  Cloudbusting, Kate Bush.  This song is becoming dangerously close to overtaking Hounds of Love as my favorite Kate song.

6.  Dream Away, The Northern Pikes.  The Pikes came from Saskatoon, Canada and were so underrated in their prime in the 1990s.  Their early stuff (like Teenland) -- the guitar riffs especially -- sounded inspired by The Smiths.

7.  Scare Easy, Mudcrutch.  Love this song by Tom Petty's old band Mudcrutch, they reunited a few years ago and came out with an album.  Sounds like a grittier Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers song.

8.  Don't Stop the Dance, Bryan Ferry.  My 2nd favorite Bryan Ferry song (second only to Help Me).

9.  Wonderdrug, Jann Arden.  I've seen Jann twice in concert.  She is hilarious, puts on a good show and I've always loved this song.

10.  Heartbeat City, The Cars.  I actually heard the Live Aid 1985 version first, the live version is as good as the original.

11.  Clutch, Shea Seger.  She came out with her first album in 2001, then disappeared for years.  I googled her last weekend and it turns out she released an independent album in 2010.

12.  Absolute Beginners, David Bowie.  Had we known about this song when Hubs and I first got married, this would have definitely been our wedding song.  :)

13.  Here Comes the Weekend, Roxette.  Oh yes.  I love Roxette.  Always have, always will.

14.  The Circle, Paul Hardcastle.  Oh yes.  I love smooth jazz too.  

15.  Games Without Frontiers, Peter Gabriel.  For some reason, I'm really loving this song this week.

16.  Dirty Work, Steely Dan.  On our last night on our NYC vacation, Hubs and I went to M Bar for a cocktail before seeing the tree at Rockefeller Center, and the duo playing live music there that night finished their set with Dirty Work.  I'll never forget it.

17.  You're So Vain, Carly Simon.  Who is this song REALLY ABOUT???  Some say Mick Jagger, some say Warren Beatty.....maybe someone else out of left field?

18.  Wade in the Water, Ramsey Lewis version.  Great song to have playing in the background at house parties.

19.  Perfect Kiss, New Order.  Really loving this song this week too, my favorite New Order song and the frog sounds in the middle of the song are pretty cool. 


I know.  My music tastes are fairly eclectic.  And I love it.

20 comments:

  1. You can put your ipod into my doc anyway, what a great mix.
    I could bore your rigid by commenting on every one!
    I love Steely Dan, they just whisk me to a time and a place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Steely Dan too, my 10 year old nephew knows most of the lyrics to their songs. We sing Ricky Don't Lose That Number together while others frown. lol

      Delete
    2. p.s. My sister and I used to sing Buffalo Stance (by Neneh Cherry) when I was 6 and she was 14. Google the song and imagine my mother cringing. Still love that song today!

      Delete
  2. You and I have very similar tastes in music. I am a big Stevie Nicks fan...and admit to some ABBA love, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huge Stevie fan here, and I have that ABBA movie taped on VHS, I still have it (you know, the one where the reporter follows them around Australia...)

      Delete
  3. Nice choices.
    I like the song Smoke and Mirrors by Gotye. Grabbed my attention on a makeup guru site and stuck.
    I am a fan of Late Night Alumni also

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to check out those songs, I love finding out about new tunes! thx!

      Delete
  4. Oh God...I'm really that old? Yes! Quite a few of those are ringing bells for me...a little bit of Abba always makes me smile..and Bowie is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha most of my music education was taken from my brother (12 years old) and my sister (8 years older), so I have them to thank!

      Delete
    2. Sheesh I meant 12 years older! I don't think Older Bro's music tastes were quite yet cultivated at 12 years old.

      Delete
  5. Hello:
    Alas we have no ipod and the only dock we know is for sailing boats!!!

    Incredibly, however,we can identify one or two tunes on the list and would not mind dancing around the handbag to those!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! And yes, since you brought it up, how in the WORLD did Pierce Brosnan ever get that singing part in Mamma Mia? Painful to watch, painful to hear...painful to remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it was VERY painful. Why in the world would the producers give Brosnan ABBA's best song to sing? At least have Meryl Streep sing it! When I was watching the movie on TV (and cringing during the song), Hubs came running out of the office saying "who in the hell is singing THAT? Oh..............." when he saw who it was.

      Delete
  7. Gary Clark Jr. - Bright Lights! My most recent favorite.

    "You're gonna know my name by the end of the night..." :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to confess to having bought an iPod years ago, then never getting around to learning how to load the thing. I recognise a few of these songs (I'd love Stevie Nicks even more if my husband wouldn't drop everything and run away with her given the chance!). I must admit to be very boring: the sound I most prefer in the world is silence. However, I have a pile of ironing that needs addressed and I may check out your playlist on YouTube to liven it up a bit. Bill would no doubt appreciate some diversion from his door-painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure Bill has not been the only guy threatening to run away with Stevie! LOL

      Delete
  9. LR Can't believe your playlist! It could be mine! We have the same taste.

    Love Bryan Ferry and Carly Simon. The Abba song is the best!

    What a fun idea to write about. You are always original and I love it!

    Kim:)

    ReplyDelete