Sunday, February 26, 2012

Books and Trip Plans and a Rant

Remember That Woman?

  
Verdict?   Anne Sebba has humanized Wallis Simpson a bit......Wallis was certainly ambitious, but her hard personality and ruthlessness still shines through the pages.  And the ex-King?   Obsessed with Wallis, almost annoyingly so!   Exhausting, petulant behaviour.   Good read.

I also (happily) bought these a week or so ago.

                                         Wearing my Betty Draper pink nail polish

So far I have only leafed through the fabulous photos in the Downton Abbey book; this is my next read.  Then I have a whole wave of other books on order at the library.  What would I do without books? 

We got some good news last Friday.   Hubs' work trip to the States got approved (!) so we are off to Southern California at the end of April.  Talk about a pleasant surprise, I honestly didn't think the trip would happen and I wasn't expecting to go on vacation that soon after our last one, but I will take it!

Therefore, inspired by the spirit of Faux Fuchsia and Adrienne and others who have participated in Frugal February, I am going on a spending freeze in March to save $$ for this vacation.   I'm going to need it.  My Molton Brown supply is dwindling and I've now discovered that my favorite Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer with SPF cannot be shipped to Canada.

When I tried phoning three other Sephora shops in two other provinces (and also the Sephora that is 2.5 hours away in my province), most stores were out of stock of the moisturizer, but the last shop I phoned had it.  When I received my package a few days later,  I found that I was charged the absurd conversion price of $55 per moisturizer (that is, from US to Cdn to the tune of $13 extra - $42.00 to $55.00).  I was ticked since there should have only been a couple of dollars difference as the US/Cdn Dollar is pretty much around par right now .....and I let Sephora know it.  Unfortunately, I got the pre-programmed sounding line "that is just how our system calculates the exchange", I was told.  Since I was desperate, I kept the two moisturizers I bought a few weeks ago but I'm not too impressed with Sephora right now and won't be giving them my business for awhile.  I don't know of any other shops in Canada where I can buy Laura Mercier products...

Arrghhhh....I'm sure those of you in Canada and the UK can relate to ridiculous conversion pricing!

20 comments:

  1. That's why I have my items shipped to an American blogger friend and she forwards them to me. I pay it all in USD which is par with CDS

    ReplyDelete
  2. That LM moisturiser costs the equivalent of $52.34 where I live. Everything is more expensive in my neck of the woods and it irritates the Hell out of me! Grrrr...! It's hard to find anything written about Wallis Simpson that is wholly positive, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything is more expensive here in Canada too - gas, groceries, makeup etc. I can relate.

      You are right about Wallis!

      Delete
  3. Lucky you, a Southern California vacation sounds fabulous! Holt Renfrew carries Laura Mercier, and they do ship anywhere in Canada if you call them, but you have to pay for the shipping so I think it would probably be the same as ordering from Sephora.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I can't wait! I think I will need the vacation by then, work has been insane lately.

      Oh yes I forgot about Holt Renfrew but I think you're right, the costs would probably be about the same. The Sephora shipping cost actually wasn't bad, it was just that darn conversion!

      Delete
  4. The Wallis book sounds interesting and Downton is a must have. Congratulations on the trip--you will have so much fun! How long will you be there? ~~Bliss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a blast, neither Hubs or I have been to California before. The trip will be 10 days!

      Delete
  5. You lucky thing southern California how fantastic, I have never been and am dying to. My husband's most glamorous work trips are to Canada, there is one next week, but it is all work so I am not allowed to come. I could have sent him with some Laura Mercier! Have you seen the Madonna film by the way? The similarities are so so clear, if Prince Charles were more of a Duke of Windsor, Madge could well have been our Wallis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am interested to see Madonna's film, esp now that I've read the book. So fascinating!

      Thankfully I am able to go along on this trip, usually Hubs just has small work trips so this one is a big bonus! :) Can't wait to see SoCal!

      Delete
  6. I have to read the book about Wallis. I have read everything else so far. Fascinating subject really.
    Lovely that you are getting a little trip away. I hope you have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We are quite excited and have already started planning excursions, I love doing trip research!

      Delete
  7. I'll have to get that book. I really wanted to see the Madonna movie, but I don't think it's been here yet or I missed it. The story is amazing whether you like her or not.

    SO excited you are getting to California!! You are going to love it here! There is so much to do in Southern Cal. Tons of great shops too so you can stock up on all your goodies! Can't wait to hear all about it!

    Kim:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think this trip will be fantastic and yes I am looking forward to the shopping too! :)

      Delete
  8. I love it when you talk books ;-)

    That sounds like a good read and I need to watch Downton Abbey, like NOW!

    In a few minutes it'll be Ladies in Lavender ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in the middle of some good books right now! Will do up another book post soon!

      Delete
  9. LR - I understand the whole converting currency issues as well. Don't forget to purchase the Downton Abbey Christmas Special on DVD. It is another two hour programme, which continues on from Series Two. AMAZING is all I can say. I will definitely look into getting my hands on the Anne Sebba book. Fifi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Fifi -- I'm pretty sure the Christmas Special is included with my DVD, will have to check later. Well, it better be! :)

      Delete
  10. A Downton Abbey BOOK!!! Who knew? I've not read that book about Wallis Simpson (funny how I think it's more about her than him...but it is about him, too - the whole story, I mean). There was a BBC TV programme on here about it and excepts were read by none other than Elizabeth McGovern as Wallis! I shall look forward to when W.E. the film is out on video. I'm sure I'll hate the mushy story, but of course the clothes are supposed to be fab. Sebba's TV programme left me really feeling sorry for Wallis. Sure, she was conniving and ambitious, but boy did she pay dearly for it. I'm just back from six weeks in Australia, so I'm way behind on commenting and reading. I'm sort of pleased you've not been blogging very much (though sorry you're so busy at work)...less to catch up on! Congratulations on your trip to SoCal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Australia! I am jealous! :) I'll have to look up that BBC program on youtube, maybe it's on there?

      Delete