Sunday, September 11, 2011

A Lovely Weekend

A delightful weekend was spent at home.  I finished my closet decluttering and Saturday morning was spent drinking coffee and listening to music from The Royal Wedding.  I admit I added another item to my fall splurge list.... John Rutter's This Is the Day vocal score from The Royal Wedding was released on September 8, 2011; it can be found on the Oxford University Press website.  Of course I ordered it straight away, I cannot wait to try out the song on the organ and on the piano.  I also ordered my old school metronome, it should be arriving this week!




Today was a day of remembrance, I am certain the events of 9/11 has affected everyone in some way.  I am looking forward to receiving Sunday's issue of The New York Times; Hubs and I recently reinstated our subscription after a summer's reprieve.  It gives us something to look forward to on Wednesday mornings (it takes a few days to be delivered from the States); opening the front door and seeing the NYT sitting on our doorstep is a great way to start the day.  I am thrilled that my favorite city in the world has rebounded since the horrible events of 9/11. 

                                            photo taken during 2010 vacation

While going through music books to prepare for teaching music lessons this week, I came across some old favorites and books I had bought from Costco years ago which contained songs that I didn't realize I had.  What a great discovery!  In recent years, I have come to love Claude Debussy's work; in particular Deux Arabesques, Clair de Lune, Reverie, Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun, Reflets dans l'eau, to name a few.....I found Deux Arabesques and Reverie in the same piano book, which I would love to learn this fall and winter.  I love the whimsical nature of the pieces and quite often imagine myself attending a dance recital, going to a museum, walking through Monet's gardens or taking a stroll throughout Paris.....
                                   Little Dancer of Fourteen Years sculpture by Edgar Degas,
                                                photo taken at The Metropolitan Museum of Art in 2006

Speaking of Reverie, this is my favorite skating performance by the magnificent Ekaterina Gordeeva and the late Sergei Grinkov..... they skated to Reverie during the 1992-1993 season.  Pure and lovely skating.



I also came across my copy of Gnossienne No. 3 by Erik Satie, which I performed for my Grade 8 RCM piano exam back in 1998.  I have a greater appreciation for this piece now than I ever did back then at age 15; to me this piece is slightly eerie, haunting, wondering, a bit angry....almost as if one is arguing with someone in the mind and trying to reach an understanding....to finally gaining some sort of acceptance.



I think that is what the last ten years have been about since 9/11.  

                                                 photo taken during 2010 vacation

3 comments:

  1. That part of the wedding ceremony gave me goosebumps.
    Oh I sent you a pic of the camel coat - i said it wouldn't be on for months but today we have the tail end of the hurricane so almost coat weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love all the video clips! My dad was given the Royal Wedding Soundtrack as a gift. I'm a little envious. I want to buy the DVD of the wedding, but my husband would never stop mocking me *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. B&P - The music during the ceremony was wonderful! I loved it.

    Laura - Thanks! I want to buy the DVD too, I still have the Royal Wedding saved on our PVR list (and have secretly watched it a few times since April)...don't want to get rid of it just yet! lol

    ReplyDelete